noob need help...pleez?! :p

E

eyerox

Hello, I switched the end of Oct last year and I still use my PC.

I have my iMac & PC sitting side by side and I want to share a printer.

The printer is a Canon PIXMA iP4000 and it's currently connected to the PC.

On the PC I have full Admin rights and the printer is set up to share, no firewall to get in the way and the two computers are networked.

I am trying to configure the iMac to use the printer although the Canon is attached to the PC.

On the Imac this is how I attempt to do this as per the iMac help file for;

"Setting up to print to a printer shared by a Windows computer via SMB/CIFS":

I open a document to print then I select Print from the File menu.

In the Print box that appears I select "Add Printer" from the Printer pull-down menu.

In the Printer Browser window I select Default Browser and then click on the "More Printers...." button.

The next box that appears has 2 pull-down menus at the top:

Windows Printing,
Network Neighbourhood.

Then there is a rectangular box which has a Name collumn and a Comment collumn.

In the Name collumn it says; "Mshome",
In the Comments collumn it says; "Workgroup".

Below this rectangular box is a pull-down menu for the Printer Model. This is dimmed.

If I double-click on Mshome in the rectangular box another window opens:

It is the same as just described except that the 2nd pull-down menu at the top now says: Mshome, and in the rectangular box there is the name of the PC and the iMac. The Printer Model pull-down menu below, is still dimmed.

I select the PC's name from the list in the rectangular box and double-click on it.

The window refreshes and now has the PC's name showing up in the 2nd pull-down menu at the top and in the rectangular box I see the Canon printers full name.

I now have 2 options:

If I double-click on the Printers name it adds the printer.
If I highlight the printers name the Printer Model pull-down menu then becomes accessable.

If I follow the 1st option the text size in microscopic and if I follow the 2nd option I need to then select a model from the Printer Model pull-down menu.

The default selection in this menu is Generic, but if I click and hold on the menu there are the names of most printer manufacturers.

I then select Canon from this list and a new box appears where I need to select my printer model.

In this list I cannot see the Canon Pixma iP4000. There are Canon BJC, CP & S models but no PIXMA iP models.

If I leave this pull-down menu set at Generic then I cannot print anything, but if I select a Canon printer from the available list, even though it has a different model name to mine, then I can successfully print a document on the shared printer.

The problem being that the results are the finished print size is so small that an A4 size document appears printed and formatted only in the top left quarter of the A4 paper.

I don't know what to do to enable the options that will print a document to the correct scale.

I also use Duplex printing quite regularly and I can't see this as an available option.

Could somebody please advise me what I am doing wrong if at all it's my nooby fault?? :dummy:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.