bulk file transfer from 10.3.9 to 10.8.3 machine / corrupt files stop process

Reaction score
hi --

Problem:
I am attempting to transfer 145 gigs of back-up files to my new 10.8.3 Pro which were generated on a 10.3.9 machine and are now stored on a Maxtor 160 gig ext. drive. 10.8.3 will stop the process when it catches an "unreadable" file. I toss the file, attempt again and the process, again, stops.

Questions:
1) What technique will allow me to dump ALL files onto my 10.8.3 Pro from the Maxtor; and 2) What tools, then, do I have in 10.8.3 to isolate both duplicate, corrupt, and/or unreadable files for the trash?

Thank you.
newstone

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
How are you attempting to transfer the files to your new Mac? In other words, what method are you using?

Generally, the Migration Assistant can be used, and with newer machines, Time Machine. But since you don't have Time Machine with 10.3.9, it may be better to do the transfer manually using an external USB hard drive. Keep in mind that any program which is designed for or uses PPC code will not work with your new Mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.