OS X 10.8.3 vs OS X 10.2

Reaction score
I recently switched to Mac for a variety of music related needs. So recently I bought audio video controller that runs in OS X but only supported up to OS X 10.2. When installing says no longer supports Power PC. I am running 10.8.3

Question is, is there a way to install software with a compatibility setting so the software will install and run as if it was in 10.2....???

New guy here, I thought I posted this question earlier but cant find it, think I needed to answer the random question in order to post... or maybe a link to the software manufacture rejected my post...???

Thanks for any help. This is for a Edirol Motion Dive Tokyo Controller MD-P1,

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
10.2 is OSX Jaguar from close to 10 years ago. Unlike Windows, OSX does not keep all the legacy stuff in from ages ago making for a much cleaner OS. The last version of OSX that would run Power PC Apps via an Emulator called Rosetta was 10.6 Snow Leopard.

There is one issue though. How new is your Mac? A Mac is made to run at the minimum the OS version that it shipped with.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Question is, is there a way to install software with a compatibility setting so the software will install and run as if it was in 10.2....???

Comparing OS 10.2 and OS 10.8.3 is almost like comparing an automobile from the 1930's to an automobile from 2012...and asking can I use the spark plugs from a 1930 car in a 2012 car.

The answer to the software question is no. No way to install software that was compatible with OS 10.2...so that it will be compatible with OS 10.8.3. You must purchase updated versions of the software.

HTH,

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have run a lot of after market software from the 10.2/3 days under Rosetta in 10.6 but it ain't a gonna happen with 10.8 that is for sure! Pardon my slang.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have run a lot of after market software from the 10.2/3 days under Rosetta in 10.6 but it ain't a gonna happen with 10.8 that is for sure!

That was probably still a pretty good feat of computing. I would have thought (knee-jerk opinion) that even some of that 10.2 & 10.3 would have been too old even for 10.6 and Rosetta.

Just goes to show how good Rosetta was!:)

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Rosetta was quite good! Just things like older Safari and Mail would not work as Safari is so tied to the OS. I have a Midi program a friend of mine does all his MIDI files on that was from those days and it worked right up till Rosetta was gone. I was very impressed.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for the help I had a feeling that may be the case. So I'll either upgrade to newer software of bust out an ancient pc laptop out of the broom closet still running but a complete POS but may be perfect for the task, its only gotta do one thing.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the help I had a feeling that may be the case. So I'll either upgrade to newer software of bust out an ancient pc laptop out of the broom closet still running but a complete POS but may be perfect for the task, its only gotta do one thing.

This is one of the very reasons why I keep older computers around. The perfect choice when you need to run older software!:)

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
I just received this note from the retailer who sold me the Edirol unit. Does this sound like it would work to any of you? All the same still gonna start with the old POS PC.

"If you have a copy of windows laying around or someone does, Install either oracle virtualbox (which is free) or VMware which is a paid program. Both of these are virtual machines that you can host a windows OS like a second computer inside your Mac as a full PC under the virtual machine software."

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
If they have support for recent Windows and you do have a copy of Windows, then yes the VirtualBox or VMware Fusion (my preference) would work..

I assume this audio video controller talks to the Mac over a USB connection, so you'll the best luck with either Parallels or VMware as far as that goes..

Also, make sure you get a copy of Windows you own..not someone else's, don't want to get into the whole piracy thing here..

C

chas_m

OR, Edirol could get on the stick and support their products better.

Not that you have any control over that, I'm just saying this sort of thing puts me off doing business with such retailers ...

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Just out of curiosity, which specific product did you buy?

OP
M
Reaction score
Edirol Motion Dive Tokyo Controller MD-P1, It comes standard with their 1st version of Motion Dive Tokyo, now their up to level 4 or 5 I think it is, and yes its USB connected and the hardware also handles MIDI data.

I believe Edirol/Roland discontinued the hardware as everything past the hardware release is primarily only software driven and even then their highest level still only states OS X 10.2...... Doh..... I don't see Edirol and Roland connected like we did 15 years ago. Not sure about their relationship.

I don't have a spare copy of Windows nor would I use any pirated copies, plus its far cheaper than Motion Dives current software upgrade, have to check price on VMware, I have heard about VMware from others as its come up in CAD/CAM discussions often at my day job for some other team guitar designers.

Thanks again one and all

OP
M
Reaction score
I blame myself more than anything for the install errors, being still rather new to Mac world I didn't understand the level of software revisions, figured OS X was OS X, like Win XP would be Win XP, didn't realized the revision level made such radical changes in Mac world but I sure get it now.

I'm still stuck on PC's at work and for home-work, and for me Mac has become an important musical instrument, controller, portable recording studio and live audio network control, ala PreSonus' digital mixer's 24.4.2, so I'm fully in, ipod, ipad, iphone, Mac laptop, on the go. iPhones even handle our monitor mixing on stage. Love this stuff!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.