FLV DownloadHelper for Safari or Chrome

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
When using Firefox I use the excellent, and free, Download Helper extension to save .flv files to my iMac. Despite much fruitless Googling I am unable to find a similar, easy to use (and preferably free or cheap) tool to achieve the same on Safari or Chrome.

Perhaps someone here can suggest suitable tools.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3 10.9.4
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3 10.9.4
Oops... I accidentally switched the links.

Anyway, you should be able to figure it out.

C

chas_m

For YouTube on Safari, there's an extension called FastestTube that embeds a download right onto the YouTube video in question's page. Sometimes I also like to use MacTubes, which is an app that takes your YouTube video page code and downloads the video.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The one thing that I love about Download Helper in Firefox is it does not just work with You Tube videos but also Videos from News sites and others.

For You Tube and Safari I agree with Chas and use FastestTube.

OP
Sawday
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Thank you. It's only rarely that it's YouTube videos I want to download, so any other recommendations out there?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
For non You Tube videos like say on News sites I think I figured it out! Hang in there and I will post what I did. I have a video on my desktop from my newspaper!!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok start the video playing. Do you have your Develop Menu showing in Safari? Go to Develop and click on "Show Page Resources". Give it a few and scroll down to OTHER and expand that. The video should show there. All I did was double clicked on the FLV and it opened it in a new window. When it was finished downloading you see all the FLV code. Just to go File then Save. It's worked 2x for me now.

I HOPE that helps you and hope you are running Safari 6.0 or higher. Am using Safari 6.0.4 here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Ok start the video playing. Do you have your Develop Menu showing in Safari? Go to Develop and click on "Show Page Resources". Give it a few and scroll down to OTHER and expand that. The video should show there. All I did was double clicked on the FLV and it opened it in a new window. When it was finished downloading you see all the FLV code. Just to go File then Save. It's worked 2x for me now.

I HOPE that helps you and hope you are running Safari 6.0 or higher. Am using Safari 6.0.4 here.

The problem is, not all videos are flv... this is when it becomes a pain.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mike, So far everything I have tried was FLV but you do have a possible point. Way back in early versions of OSX and Safari it worked with every file extension. I will do some testing later and try to find some sites that use another format and report back!

OP
Sawday
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

I don't see OTHER - just Frames, Images, Scripts, Stylesheets and Extension Scripts. Am I looking in the right place?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I don't see OTHER - just Frames, Images, Scripts, Stylesheets and Extension Scripts. Am I looking in the right place?

You need to have the page resources open, THEN reload the page. It will (in my experience) either show.. or not.

I'm unhappy with this implementation.

OP
Sawday
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You need to have the page resources open, THEN reload the page. It will (in my experience) either show.. or not.

I'm unhappy with this implementation.

Eureka!!

Reloading page AFTER showing page resources worked. Many thanks for the tip. (But what a faff!!)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's a pain with the newer versions of Safari. I miss the days when it was just one click basically! Oh well!

Way back in maybe 10.5 or before I used to make PC users jaws drop using Safari to grab videos. It was so simple!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.