2006 Intel i-mac screen black, indicator light on but no activity

Reaction score
Hi there,

I would like an advice on my i-mac of MA710LL with an Intel processor. In the middle of web browsing, the screen went black while the indicator light was yet on. I tried to shut it off by pushing the switch button but it did not turn off.

Per an instruction to reset the SMC, I unplugged a power cord, waited for about 20 seconds and put the cord back in. I then was able to turn it back on a few seconds later, but no activity noted except there was a little humming sound presumably from a fan swirling. No initializing sound, no hard drive moving sound and the screen remained black. The only thing the i-mac did was turning the indicator light on. I shut it off by pushing the button for a few seconds.

Would someone of expertise let me know what to do about this?

I would appreciate it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It sounds like the power supply in your iMac has failed. It's still receiving power from the AC outlet but not outputting power to the machine. Either that, or the logic board has failed. With a machine that old, you might want to do the trouble shooting yourself. Go to iFixit: The free repair manual and look at the take apart instructions.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thank you for your advice.

In fact I took a look into an issue of fixing the computer or buying a new one. what I do not know for sure is that if I buy a new computer, how could I pull out files in my dead computer's hard drive and upload them to the new computer's hard drive.

Is there a way that I just take out the old hard drive and physically connect to the new computer as an external drive and upload the files?

Anyway, I truly appreciate your advice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
You would need to mount the dead iMac's drive in an external caddy and hook up preferably via Firewire, and use Migration Assistant to transfer things over.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP (Mid 2012) Processor 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5 - Memory 4GB 1600 MHz DDR3 - Upgrading to 16GB.
I have a early 2006 MacBook and tired to fire it up this morning and the grey screen comes up with the apple logo and then a few seconds later telling me to shut it down and try again, after doing this 4 times I have decided the MacBook is now a Paper weight.

Contacted Apple Japan about getting it repaired and they said no interested!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Sounds like a Kernel Panic. You might check the RAM and see if it's seated properly or gone bad. It happens.

I bought a Macbook late 2007 that did that and that was the issue. It's been ages and it still works great.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP (Mid 2012) Processor 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5 - Memory 4GB 1600 MHz DDR3 - Upgrading to 16GB.
Not the RAM because I tried that this morning, when I brought it I upgraded the RAM, so this morning I removed the upgraded RAM and replaced the original and still only a grey screen

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.