• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Cook: US-built Mac will be refreshed version of existing product

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2014 i5 5k 32gb 1tb fusion, second TB display, 2014 MBA
And...

Apple to build Macs in low-tax Texas - Computerworld

Sorry, but I see this as a PR stunt if the news is accurate. 100 million dollars barely buys a renovation bond for a city's schools. For a high tech plant, that amount will get you a tin building with big fans in the windows for cooling. And maybe a striped parking lot.

Put that beside the 300 plus million that Apple is spending just for an office complex and it sort of puts the new "iMac plant" into context.

Of course, it is possible that the news media got the numbers screwed up - I've seen them report wrong a time or two.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Apple already has facilities in Austin. And, as you know it's smart business to locate in a state that has no state tax and a "right to work" law. You certainly can not say that about California. I personally don't know why Tim Cook just doesn't relocate everything to Texas and get out of California altogether. Even Microsoft is smart enough to be in a state that has no taxes. (Washington)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Apple already has facilities in Austin. And, as you know it's smart business to locate in a state that has no state tax and a "right to work" law.
So, I didn't really know what "right to work" meant and it implied that employees had a right to work with some sort of state guarantee (and consequently, something that doesn't necessarily benefit employers). That is probably the most misleading name for a piece of legislation possible. Sure, it does guarantee some rights but the name is so odd.

(Not trying to start something political, just commenting on the name of the legislation).

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Good question Van. The "Right to Work" laws that some states have mean that the worker or employee does not have to join a union in order to work. States that do not have that law require the employee or worker to join a union in order to work, or, at the very least pay union dues if they decide not to join. Very unfair in my opinion and for the most part strictly political. Texas is a state that has a "Right to Work" law, and we have no state imposed income tax. We do have a sales tax, however.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Good question Van. The "Right to Work" laws that some states have mean that the worker or employee does not have to join a union in order to work. States that do not have that law require the employee or worker to join a union in order to work, or, at the very least pay union dues if they decide not to join. Very unfair in my opinion and for the most part strictly political. Texas is a state that has a "Right to Work" law, and we have no state imposed income tax. We do have a sales tax, however.

Sort of. You only have to either join or pay if it's a union shop. Not all businesses in non-right-to-work states are union shops. Then again, like everything else in life, there are trade-offs made. For instance, in AZ it is a lot easier for an employer to do things like fire you (just a single example) than it is in other states.

Employers like right-to-work states because, generally, the laws are stacked more in favor of employer than employee. (also not making a political statement, just an observation after having lived, and worked, in multiples of each)

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Totally off the right to work issue . . . .

Has anyone seen a well-reasoned analysis of which Mac will be USA built?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My understanding is that it will be the iMac? Anyone heard anything different?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My understanding is that it will be the iMac? Anyone heard anything different?

I have seen speculation on both Mac Pro and Mac Mini, but nothing to back up either. This thread is the first mention I have seen of it being the iMac.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Come to think of it.... I believe you're right about the Mini. I don't remember seeing anything about the Pro though and can't recall where I saw the rumor about the iMac. I'll have to dig around a bit to see what I can find.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I'm for it! Can't wait till June 10th...both for Apple and Sony.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My thoughts/reasoning on why it is the Mac Pro are as follows:

1) I REALLY would like to see a refresh on the Pro
2) A product with low volume and high markup minimizes the impact of higher labor costs, and that is Mac Pro all the way
3) Tim Cook essentially promised us a new Mac Pro this year, so ths would be two birds with one stone
4) I REALLY REALLY would like to see a killer refresh on the Mac Pro :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.