• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple drops IE in Demo Machines

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Source: Mac Daily News

Apple has removed Microsoft Internet Explorer from the Dock on demo Macs in Apple Retail Stores and added Safari as the Dock's default browser. Safari 1.0 beta (v60) is now also the default browser in the System Preferences "Internet" pane's "Web" tab on all demo systems. Internet Explorer remains on the demo models' hard drives in the Applications folder.

"According to a store employee, that's now Apple's standard configuration for demo systems. That's probably a pretty good clue to the company's plans for the future. For now, though, Macs sold to customers still have IE not only on the drive, but also in the Dock," reports Henry Norr in the San Francisco Chronicle.

MacDailyNews take: Get ready for Apple to drop IE altogether once Safari sheds its beta status. The new configurations on Apple Retail Store demo Macs show clearly where Apple is headed on this issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
Hmm... This I think is great. Steer people away from IE for Mac. It sux! :)

I just wish they would develope Safari a little faster. On some of my pages, tables look terrible. But they look fine in other browsers like Opera and Chimera and IE.

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Yeah, I'm having problems with Safari renderring CSS correctly...like on my links page on my homepage. The links are set only to underline on hover, but it doesn't work that way in Safari.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
its kinda hit or miss for me. its nice to see IE on the way out.. now its only a matter of time until Appleworks is replaced or re-done

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
Well I dont really think that Apple is stalling.. When they take alot of time on something it always seems to amaze us, and we forget about how long it took. I have total confidence that I will be a happy camper on this one.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I concur with Graphite and MacAddikt, it only a matter of time.

;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.