Managing photo's

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 8.1, iPad 2 and iPod
I have loads of photo's. I have saved them on my external but now I need to work on them, sort them and store them some where. Feeling a little overwhelmed. I would like to put them somewhere so I can work on them on my iPad or on my Mac. Perhaps even browse them on my phone. Any ideas?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac Forums!

You didn't say which Mac you have or what version of OS X it's running, but probably the best way to organize and keep track of your photos is to import or copy them to your Mac and let iPhoto do the work for you. Once the photos are copied to your iPhoto library, you can edit them using the edit features of iPhoto.

It's a lot easier to work on the photos and organize them on your Mac than on the iPad, but you can also share them with your iPad by using Photo Stream.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@chscag. Thank you. My Mac is iMac 8.1 and OS X is 10.6.8. I did have all my photos in iPhoto but my computer was running so slow that I moved all my photos to my external but have found that I never get to browse through them or do anything with them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Can you plug in the external and access your photos that way? View and edit them and leave them on the external so as not to fill up your iMac. The only problem with this is you only have one location for all of your photos and when that external drive some day fails, you will lose them all if you do not have a backup.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks MymacROX. Firstly I want to avoid loosing my photos. So That is why I am rethinking storage.
Secondly how did you get you get your specs to sit under your post like that? I am sure you don't type them in each time?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Click on "User CP" just under the red banner across the top of these forums. Then click on "Edit Details" in the left column under Profile. Scroll down the page a bit and there's a section to enter your Mac's specs.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks MYmacROX and chscag, it seems like i am going to be stuck with the external for a while. I will keep a look out though for more information and scan the forum. If I get any bright ideas I will post them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.