• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Publishing problem in iMovie

Reaction score
I have a movie that is 14 minutes long with background music. Every time I try to share to iTunes- it goes through the whole process times (1-2hours) and then says it can't because there was an error-the file is open with write permission. I'm working on a MacBook Pro with 6mgs of memory. Somebody please help!

C

chas_m

This operation requires a HUGE among of disk space to be free. How much room do you have on your boot drive?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
This operation requires a HUGE among of disk space to be free.
Depending on the size of the iMovie Project, of course. A 14 min project doesn't sound too big.

Somebody please help!
Try the Share>Export Movie option and see if that works.

C

chas_m

Depending on the size of the iMovie Project, of course. A 14 min project doesn't sound too big.

Unless it's in uncompressed 1080p :)

You're right, but if he's very low on disk space, that could be a big issue.

OP
P
Reaction score
Ok, I hadn't thought of disk space-but I think I have enough. I did notice that if I have a previous version in the trash it won't let me "Finalize the project." I will try the "Export" way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
There is no need to Finalize a Project. All that does is create movies of your Project in every resolution that it can, and make them available, via the Media Browser, to other Applications. If you don't need that, then don't bother.

OP
P
Reaction score
iMovie Problem solved

Remember, I kept getting an error message of "file is already open- do not have right permission." Well, the way I solved my problem of even sharing to iTunes is this: I emptied the movie cache folders. And then I emptied the regular trash folder. You can't really do ANY kind of sharing if you have an older version of your movie. I closed the program, zapped the pram, and restarted the computer and then the iMovie application. I then did a " Share through iTunes, instead of " Finalising the Project" I now have my finished movie playing in iTunes. Thank you so much for all the feedback!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.