mac mini headphone output quit working

Reaction score
Hi

I use my headphone output to power external speakers, and leave it plugged in. This morning when I powered up no output. Internal speakers working, and all external cabling/setup check ok. Switch problem or possible software problem? I am not a computer person but am an (older) EE, so not completely illiterate. Any help greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance.

Michael Winn

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
More than likely a problem with the switch that is contained within the headphone jack assembly. A common problem. Try removing and inserting the male jack several times to see if you can cycle that switch back so that the output is directed to the speakers once more. And one more thing.... when you post a question to our forums it helps if you include your model Mac and year it was made along with the version of OS X you're running.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. Of course I have tried contact cleaner and re-insertion and twisting with no luck.

Oh, I believe the mac mini was made in 2007 and runs 10.6.8.

If it is the switch, is it a diy fix? I have fixed all kinds of electrical and electronic components but am a bit intimidated by opening up the mini.

Thanks again

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If it is the switch, is it a diy fix? I have fixed all kinds of electrical and electronic components but am a bit intimidated by opening up the mini.

Unfortunately it's not an easy DIY repair since the jack assembly is soldered (surface mounted) to the Mini's logic board. When those go bad, Apple changes out the entire logic board. Obviously an expensive repair that would not be worthwhile doing.

Also, the older Mini machines where difficult to get into. You might want to take a look at the layout of the inside of the Mini by going to iFixit: The free repair manual with your model number on hand. Look up the take apart instructions.

M

MacInWin

Before you rip into it, check all the settings in System Preferences and make sure nothing has changed the sound output options. I found that one of my apps made a change from my external Thunderbolt monitor to the internal source, which mean that because I had earphones plugged it to that port, I had no sound out of the speakers. Took a while to figure out why I was getting zero output.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I looked into system preferences for itunes and couldn't find anything addressing the audio output. I just looked at finder with no success. Perhaps you can guide me through this as I am , sadly, not terribly computer literate. Thanks much.

Michael Winn

M

MacInWin

System Preferences, Sound, select the output you want. It's NOT iTunes references, but overall system preferences.

OP
M
Reaction score
That seems to have done it. Thank you sooooo much for your help. I am in your debt, and thanks again.

Michael Winn

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.