iWork first or Mountain Lion?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", Mac OS X 10.6.8, iPhone 4S iOS 6.1
Hi all,

I tried looking for some hints and tips on the forum for my problem but haven't been lucky so here it goes.

I have a MacBook Pro 17" running OS 10.6.8. Due to some work demand, I had to run Windows XP on Parallels Desktop 5 on it. I am now trying to step away from all that and go 'all native'.

So... I am tired of having to start up Parallels Desktop and then Windows XP just to edit some documents, and want to download iWork. However, I am also thinking of upgrading to Mountain Lion (I have checked the requirements and my MBP does meet them all).

Honestly I can't wait to use iWork and uninstall Parallels Desktop and Windows XP, but I am so not ready to upgrade to Mountain Lion yet (still have to properly back up loads of stuff but I just have not found the time for it).

Would it be a huge mistake of me to download iWork first so I can keep being productive BEFORE upgrading to Mountain Lion? :Oops:

Thanks so much in advance. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
It makes no difference at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
there is an alternative to iWork: Office for Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Or 365 office or libre office or open office or google docs

But my point was that there is no benefit or detriment to the install sequence

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini
Are the documents only for personal or are you sharing with others who use IWork. If you are sharing with others who are using Word or another Word processing program other than IWork than you may find some compatibility issues (the formatting). I think there are work arounds (and others could tell you what they are). You could also use Parallels or other VMs (there are free alternatives also). Keep in mind that if you upgrade to Mountain Lion, then you will also need to find the appropriate upgrade for the software (I don't think XP will work on ML?) ...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The OP is already using parallels, I think it's the VM they want rid of.

And while there are limits to which version of Windows will run in bootcamp you can run pretty much any OS in a VM so long as the VM supports it

C

chas_m

What's the point of being more productive if you are going to lose all that work when your drive crashes with no backup?

OP
avigayildagea
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mrplow: thanks for emphasizing that there is no benefit or detriment to the install sequence. I've never bought any apps for my MBP through the new Apps Store yet (except for my iPhone), so I am not sure, what will happen to the installed apps when I upgrade to Mountain Lion?

nickyr: thanks for the input I have used Office for Mac before on my previous iBook G4 (but a very early version, 2003, if I remember correctly). Am trying to use Apple apps instead of Windows though.

Aqua: most documents are work related, and formatting is not much of an issue but thanks for bringing that up. Perhaps I should look more into it. I am using Parallels Desktop 5 now with Windows XP but am trying to move away from it.

chas_m: I do have backups of all documents, I just haven't updated the backup of the whole system yet, in case I want to upgrade and things go wrong (knock on wood).

Thanks all for your responses!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you do an in place upgrade your apps will just still be there. If you do a clean install you can either restore from a backup or re-download them for free

OP
avigayildagea
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you do an in place upgrade your apps will just still be there. If you do a clean install you can either restore from a backup or re-download them for free

Great thank you so much :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.