Duplicates in iPhoto.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, 21.5",OSX, Mojave Late 2012. Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5. Memory now has 16GB. + macbook
Yet another question. I've got 7,400 odd, photo's in iPhoto... well I haven't really, because I've managed to end up with doubles and triples etc. Is there an easier way to get rid of them than having to drive myself even more nuts by sorting through and deleting them one at a time ? :[

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Do you want to spend money Pete ?? For the cost of 2 Beers $10.49 AUD i have found a gem of a App in the Mac App Store called Gemini https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/gemini-the-duplicate-finder/id463541543?mt=12. This App is powerful and designed for iPhoto with 5stars and not 1 bad review. It cleaned up my Library in Minutes.
You pay for what you get and this is good . . .

EDIT That link is for the Australian Store so you might just want to search for it in the MAS

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, 21.5",OSX, Mojave Late 2012. Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5. Memory now has 16GB. + macbook
Hi and thanks for the replies.

I decided on the Annihilator and downloaded it. It's working as I type.

Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Cheaper alternative specifically designed for iPhoto (contrary to above, Gemini is a general duplicate hunter and not specific to iPhoto): Brattoo Propaganda Software - Products

Yes correct, i suppose what i meant came out a little wrong.
But it was made with iTunes and iPhoto in mind, as they are both specifically mentioned in the General Description and in the Update, saying "Entire albums or events can be auto selected in your iTunes and iPhoto Libraries" as well as "Improved forward compatibility with iTunes and iPhoto".
As above i have used it, and it was 100% accurate, and to be totally honest $7.95 for a specific iPhoto Duplicate remover or $9.99 in the US Store Gemini ~ The Duplicate Finder US Store for a Duplicate Remover that works very well with iPhoto and every other file and folder on a Mac. I think Gemini would be IMHO better value all round.

EDIT : Oh well OP made his choice. Glad it is working how you want. Didn't even see you are in Bribie, i could of done without finding the US Store for ya.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry 'bout that mate. I didn't notice you were in Western Oz either.

C

chas_m

Sorry if I implied Gemini wasn't a perfectly good option for the job, it is. In fact, I just got a copy through a bundle deal. But I've used Duplicate Annihilator for a long time and its very effective. Plus it has a more violent name. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Thanks guys for the comments on iPhoto image duplication - just starting to use the Mac version BUT many have had a TERRIBLE time w/ the iPad version of this app, too! Not sure about the options in iOS? Dave :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry if I implied Gemini wasn't a perfectly good option for the job, it is. In fact, I just got a copy through a bundle deal. But I've used Duplicate Annihilator for a long time and its very effective. Plus it has a more violent name. :)

All good Chas, and yes it is a more violent name to the point that it doesn't even sound Macish at all :)

Thanks guys for the comments on iPhoto image duplication - just starting to use the Mac version BUT many have had a TERRIBLE time w/ the iPad version of this app, too! Not sure about the options in iOS? Dave :)

Mate i have a way of ONLY searching for Apps in iTunes and Mac App Store via Safari and i put in Duplicate File Finder in and the first 4 pages came up with Apps in the MAS and not a single one for iTunes/iOS. Sorry can't seem to find one or there isn't for iPhone, and I'm thinking because how closed iOS is you will be hard finding one for iOS.
Easiest way is import all photo's to iPhoto Mac and do it that way ??

Cheers

C

chas_m

That's because you manage your photos using iPhoto on your Mac, not iPhoto on the iPad. Since they are managed before they're synced over to the iPad, no issues and thus no need for a dupe finder.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's because you manage your photos using iPhoto on your Mac, not iPhoto on the iPad. Since they are managed before they're synced over to the iPad, no issues and thus no need for a dupe finder.

Glad you understood what was going on . . . .

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.