First time Screen Sharing steps

Reaction score
Have to help someone set-up a new MBA for a first-time Mac owner and I want to do this using the Screen Sharing application in OS X.

If I talk this person through the start-up process over the phone is the following the correct sequence for initiating a first-time screen sharing session? I have only tested this with the 2 Macs in the house over the local network.

1. Open System Preferences
  2. Go to Sharing
  3. Make a checkmark next to Screen Sharing
  4. Click the + button under the list of users allowed access
  5. Click New Person
  6. Add the details and password for this person
  7. Select the name to add it to the list of users allowed access
  8. Give the person who wants access to the Mac the vnc://xxx.xxx.x.xxx/ information shown in the Sharing dialog box

Then I would put the vnc information in my browser and type in the details and password of the user information created.

C

chas_m

I have always found it easier to simply open Messages (and before that, iChat) and use the screen-sharing request or share from there. You turn on screen sharing from the "Video" menu, and then use the "ask to share" from the Buddies menu.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. Use Messenger every day but did not even know that existed.

Testing it out I can't seem to figure out how to share my screen. The selection from the Buddy menu is greyed out.

Screen Sharing is enabled from the Video drop down menu.

There must be something I am missing.

C

chas_m

IIRC you have to first set up an audio or video call to the person, then the option will be available. I'll test that tomorrow and see if that's right.

OP
T
Reaction score
I just tried to start a video conversation in Messenger and it jumped to Facetime...so I don't know how to start a video/audio call or share the screen via Messenger.

C

chas_m

Ah, it might need to be done through AIM. When I have my AIM list open, I can select a buddy who's online and has a camera icon next to their name, and the option for screen sharing are available.

C

chas_m

Thanks for that. It wasn't complicated for me because I came to it through AIM, so it always "just worked."

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.