Blocking specific websites

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'09 8-core MacPro | '12 MBA | iPad 2 16GB | iPhone 5C 16GB
I was wondering if there have been any developments in the area of blocking/blacklisting websites? I have a 4-5-year-old AirPort Extreme 802.11/n router, and if I could there's a series of websites that I would like to put on a block list so that when certain guests are using my WiFi they can't access those sites.

To be more specific, my mother-in-law always brings her laptop with her and then gets on a bunch of conspiracy theorist websites (dozens). Frankly, I don't want that garbage being accessed in my home on my WiFi for a variety of reasons, so I'd like to prevent that from happening if at all possible.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
You can't do it with the AirPort Extreme, but what you can do is direct the router to OpenDNS and filter websites from there..

Read more: OpenDNS - Parental Controls

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
You can't do it with the AirPort Extreme, but what you can do is direct the router to OpenDNS and filter websites from there..

Read more: OpenDNS - Parental Controls

I second Open DNS

I just set mine to block certain types of websites that I don't want viewed in my house or over my network

OP
Sexy Patrol
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'09 8-core MacPro | '12 MBA | iPad 2 16GB | iPhone 5C 16GB
Thanks for the recommendations guys, I'll be giving that a shot!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.