Drag and drop iPhoto

Reaction score
I don't understand why I can't drag and drop photos around within albums to rearrange them into the order I want them. I import them from my camera, and they become an 'event' as expected. I have tried to drag them around within the event to change the order in which they appear but it's not possible. So then I think maybe they have to be in an album before I can do that, so I put them into an album and I still can't move them around within the album. It's not a smart album.

C

chas_m

Within an album you should be able to drag them around as you like. I have no explanation for why you can't other than to say that that's not normal behaviour. I just checked one of my albums and I can certainly rearrange things within it.

Events as you've worked out are views based on EXIF time taken information and thus can't be rearranged, but albums are free-form.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Check the sort parameters when in the Album. You need View, Sort Photos, Manually.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.