using multiple harddrives

Reaction score
So I manage a lot of photos on my new macbook pro internal SSD 125gm. I plan on using two external harddrives (as duplicate back ups). Since I will not be saving many of my photos on the harddrive bc I will fill it up quickly. Is there an easy way to back up one external hard drive to another? Can I plug in both to my macbook pro and simply drag and drop? or is there anyway to use time machine?

thanks

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
You can select one of the HDs as the TM backup destination, and then in TM preferences be sure to include the external drive containing the files you want backed up.

Or, you could use Carbon Copy Cloner (what I do) or Super Duper to periodically clone your drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
So I manage a lot of photos on my new macbook pro internal SSD 125gm. I plan on using two external harddrives (as duplicate back ups). Since I will not be saving many of my photos on the harddrive.......

Hi again Scotty.. - there are obviously numerous options to your BU strategy - one already given.

I would suggest using 'Time Machine' (TM) on one of your external HDs to BU your MBP - then use the other to BU your 'personal' files which in your situation seem to be the images (or photos) - you could certainly in the latter case do a 'dray & drop'.

What I am currently doing on my MBP is using TM backup to a Seagate 1 TB external HD - then a secondary BU of my Documents/Music/Pictures to a La Cie SSD external drive - NOW, if you want further insurance if your house burns down, then an online storage site may be a consideration, such as Carbonite - I''m about to replace my wife's desktop w an iMac and will use TM w/ an external HD, but will also do a secondary backup to Carbonite online - just some suggestions since SO many options exist - good luck & let us know your solutions! Dave :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.