installing a dongle on Lion laptop.

Reaction score
Hello, I am a new Apple user.In the past I had a vodafone and an unlocked dongle but I cannot install either on my apple. With the Vodafone, Vodaphone Mobile Connect.Icon shows in Applications but NOT along the bottom row. Click on the icon in apps and a page comes up "Vodaphone Mobile Connect" with lots of foreign flags and links.Click on Vod Mob Con and the Vodaphone icon comes up for a split second on the R hand side of the bottom row but then disappears.
So, I tried the unlocked dongle with vdaphone sim. HSPA comes up on main screen and sometimes on the bttom row.Seems to install O.K., says it has at any rate. But then a message pops up "HSPA quit unexpectedly" It then goes on to say that it is telling apple abt the problem.
Ive been trying with both dongles for 4 or 5 weeks without success.
ny ideas where I should go? Mike

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook - OS X 10.9 - iPhone 4s - iPod - iPad
Hi Mike,

Personally never liked Vodafone if you defiantly want dongle connectivity, personally if you are in the UK I would look to 3s MiFi units. You can get both PAYG or Contract.

With vodafone`s devices I believe that they only work if vodafone have assigned numbers to your sim, so not sure about the unlocked one.

Also under your Networks in your system preferences do you see Vodafone 3520? you may also have to change what in the telephone number box, and overwrite what’s there, many have used this “*99#’

Bottom line is Vodafone really haven’t been that bothered about supporting Mac users.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
+1 for an absolute hatred of Vodafone UK..... Moving on.

I'd also encourage the use of a Mi-Fi device, far greater compatibility and no driver required.

Which model of Dongle do you have and are you running version 4.09.11.00 of mobile connect? (latest version as at 11th March 2013)

Cast your eyes over this thread too (it's for an O2 dongle but there are similarities)

OP
O
Reaction score
Thanks to both of you for your help.I have to use a dongle.I spend all my working day on an isolatedgolf course,no wi-fi. Both of my two dongles, one LM technologies one vodaphone, and one vodaphone sim which I swop around, both work O.K.on Windows, even a very cheap Acer notebook. Its just the far higher tech Applemac where I have a problem.
I will take your advice. i need to check which version o=ive got.
Of course, I could just relegate the Apple to my evening flat and use the little old Acer. Anyway thanks again to both of you. Mike

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
A Mi-Fi is a small router that takes a 3g sim, much like a 3g dongle, but rather than connecting directly by USB it creates a small wi-fi network that you can connect to from any wi-fi enabled device - your phone, tablet, laptop, etc. It needs no drivers or installation, just turn it on and connect to it using wi-fi. Most allow youto connect up to 5 devices simultaneously.

MiFi - Mobile Broadband Wi-Fi Dongle - Three

http://www.vodafone.co.uk/shop/internet/sharing-your-internet-with-mobile-wi-fi/index.htm

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.