editing videos and sending them over gmail

Reaction score
so here is the story. i bought the macbook because my desktop was getting pretty old and not running wroth a dam. i got the mac because it was supposed to be easy to use and good with videos.

i take the sd card from the camera plug it in and it copies the video to iphoto where i trimmed the videos and tired to link them together into one long video so when i email it i only attach 1 thing. but when i went to try and compile the small videos to make a big one it didn't work and my sister suggested imovie so i got that on my laptop and it imported the videos from iphoto and let me compile them together then i attached the video to the email and sent it to my moms ipad and she said it turned into a zip file of some sort and wouldnt work.

all i want to do is take my videos off my sd card be able to edit them and email them, what am i doing wrong? is there a different program i should have? any help would be appreciated.

C

chas_m

What you are doing wrong is trying to email videos longer than, say, a minute. People's inboxes just can't handle really large files, and video that are larger than a postage stamp and run longer than a minute or two are about the limit.

Upload the video to YouTube or Vimeo (password protect it for private viewing if you don't want it public). Or upload them to Dropbox or a service like that. In either case, then just send the people you want to an email with the URL (and password if necessary). Works way better.

OP
M
Reaction score
thanks, i guess a 720p vid is pretty dam big its taking 45 minuts to load the dam thing

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
That would do it. Depending upon a few settings that could be quite large. Certainly too large for most mail gateways.
I used to use my MobileMe account for these situations but sadly that is no more. Try one of the services suggested above.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.