music transfer

Reaction score
newer imac user, trying to load music files from iTunes and mp3s stored on an external drive to a usb drive or sd card. it only seem to burn to cd. any ideas??

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
As you've discovered iTunes is geared toward burning CDs not moving to a USB drive or SD card. There's probably a utility out there that does this but here's a quick and dirty way that should work:

1. Make sure the usb Drive/SD card shows on the desktop.
2. Launch iTunes and select the files that you want to transfer.
3. Right-click the files and choose Reveal in Finder.

This will bring up a Finder window with the files highlighted where they can be copied. If you are copying a large number of files do a few at a time. If the files are in different folders (i.e.e different albums in iTunes) it opens one window for each location. this can quickly get out of hand.

C

chas_m

Surely it would be simpler to just select the songs you want in iTunes and then just ... you know ... drag them onto the card? Wouldn't that do the same thing? (I apologise if I'm wrong, I'm unable to verify this at the moment, but I feel sure that I've done exactly this in the past)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Surely it would be simpler to just select the songs you want in iTunes and then just ... you know ... drag them onto the card? Wouldn't that do the same thing? (I apologise if I'm wrong, I'm unable to verify this at the moment, but I feel sure that I've done exactly this in the past)

Brilliant. Just tried it and it seems to work. That never occurred to me. When I transfer things I am usually transferring the entire folder as a backup.

Edit: No rep boost at the moment. Apparently you were the last person I gave a rep bump.

OP
D
Reaction score
i did try that (dragging the files to the card or usb drive in finder but it would not let me. how do i get the sd card or usb drive to just show up on the desktop like you said (it shows in finder)??

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.