15" PowerBook G4 Logicboard

Reaction score
So my old 15" Aluminum G4 PowerBook (1.25) isn't feeling well. The monitor has a bad checkerboard pattern which also transfers to other external monitors when I plug them in. From what I can gather, this means the video card is bad which means replacing the logic board. The images on the monitor are bad enough I can't see what I'm clicking on or what pops up. I've replaced the AC/Power/Headphone/Sound card on this machine so essentially I've had it stripped down to the logic board before. It's not a tough job, except separating the top-case, so I'm not afraid to go "in" again on my own. I know this machine isn't worth much but I do need to retrieve the hard drive contents so I'm willing to pay $60 for a used logic board and investing some time. My question is this: If I replace the logic board, will I lose all of my contents on the hard drive (i.e. music, pictures, videos, and documents)? In other words, will I have to re-install the operating system essentially wiping clean my hard drive? I don't have the OS X install disc anymore either...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Instead of messing with replacing the logic board on a computer that may not survive the transplant.... just remove the hard drive, place it in a USB carrier, hook it to your other machine and extract the data. You can pick up a USB carrier most anywhere for less than $15.

Air

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
But for $60, he can get his stuff, AND, he has a nice, working backup laptop.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.