Problem Getting Online

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, OSX 10.8.5, 2.5 GHz Intel core i5 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 - I also have an iPad Air.
During the past week, I've had to reset my modem to get online. I use a wire connected to the modem. An ISP rep says it's something in the computer, of course, but the Apple rep says it's probably the modem. We did a hardware test to see if it was the network card, but the test didn't detect any problems. The IP address I see in the network settings is not what it should be; another ISP rep says my computer is assigning it to itself, so the modem and computer are not communicating with each other.

As soon as I told her the first 3 numbers, she said it's a bad address, and tried to reset it, which it tried to do, I was watching the numbers change, where the network settings are, and the IP address is displayed, but the system wouldn't accept it. The only solution for this is to unplug the modem and restart the computer, then plug the modem back in. It doesn't matter if I disconnect the ethernet cable or leave it in before shutting down for the night. When I turn the machine on in the morning, even when I wait a few minutes after it starts up, I can't connect.

I have a MacBook Pro.

So, is it the modem or the computer? IF it's the computer, it's still under warranty.

I LOVE this machine; it's the BEST computer I ever had. :)

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Who is your ISP and what type of modem do you have? A basic modem or one that also acts as a router? If you don't know, find any markings on it and tell us and we'll figure it out..

If your Mac is setting itself to any address in the 169.254.xxx.xxx range, that's known as a self-assigned IP address and does indicate that it wasn't able to get an IP address from the modem/router.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Rule One:-

As ISPs never make mistakes it must be the computer!

For starters try resetting the router which will means passwords and all. Then consider a new router. Three years seems to be about the maximum.

OP
Quietone
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, OSX 10.8.5, 2.5 GHz Intel core i5 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 - I also have an iPad Air.
Thanks for the replies. The modem is just a basic one. I have a router but it's not hooked up yet, I keep forgetting to do it; and yes the address is that self assigned one, 169 etc.

The name on the front of the modem says Cisco, provided by the ISP, a big miserable communications company called Charter; I hope to switch to a local provider as soon as they get broadband up here.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Looks like the modem is misbehaving. I'd suggest connecting the modem to a router and then connect your Mac to the router either through the wire or WiFi and see how you fare..

OP
Quietone
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the advice, I'll set that up soon and report back here.

OP
Quietone
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hello I have news: I haven't hooked the router up yet due to another problem, but first I wanna let someone know that so far the computer is behaving and communicating with the modem properly, AND I just noticed something in the network folder when the modem's connected; on the page where the IP address is and other info, there's a line that says "router" with a similar IP address to the one on the top line, which makes me wonder if the modem does have a router in it!

Well, needless to say I am very confused :Confused: and I really appreciate being able to get into this forum.

My Sincerest Thanks to those who are technically minded.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Modem/Routers are pretty common and can set up Wifi without the expense of two lots of hardware. Cisco makes Linskys and many are duals.

OP
Quietone
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Cisco! That's my modem! So I don't need my router, wow. I'm so glad I read the info in the network settings. :D I hope the computer and modem will continue communicating with each other, so far so good, it doesn't mess up every day just that last week it happened at least 3 times.

Thanks again for your help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.