Cloud service providers

Reaction score
I have a 27" i Mac and a MacBook Pro. I want to put all my files on the cloud so I get rid of my external hard drives. What cloud providers are popular with Mac users and affordable?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Check out Dropbox, Box, Copy for starters for cloud storage. They all have plans that allows you to get a decent amount of space depending on what price you are willing to pay per month..

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Depending on how much you have, you might want to look at some different options. For starters, how much data are you looking to backup? I ask because you say that you want to get rid of your externals and I'm going to guess that you have a lot of data to upload.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
In addition to that, having all of your data solely on the cloud services might not be smart if they were to go down or have data loss for whatever reason.

Keeping good local backups is important, but if you want to have a handful of files ALSO on cloud services so that you can access them from anywhere, then that's a different story..

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I'll second Raz0r's suggestion. It's nice to have a balance of both since they each offer advantages and disadvantages which, when used in tandem, offer a nice backup solution.

C

chas_m

Even though I am a fan of cloud services, I think trying to keep all your data there is a fool's errand. For starters, your data is completely unavailable the moment you don't have power or Internet, for another it will be a very expensive proposition unless you really don't keep much data (and I suspect that's not the case as you have external drives in the first place).

There's definitely an advantage to having SOME of your data in the cloud; not only is it probably a more reliable backup than most users make, it's off-site, generally pretty secure and accessible from any internet-connected computer. But there are disadvantages beyond what I've already mentioned.

A more studied consideration of your work flow to determine the best candidates for file storage, combine with local storage, is still a wiser path on many fronts IMHO.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think the best way to think of it is like this: if you need backed up data available everywhere, use an online storage service. If not, ask yourself if it's worth the effort (cost, time, etc.).

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'll add one thing to what you've already been told.... and that is with a lot of data (assuming you have lots of data) it will take forever to back it up to the cloud and likewise to download it if needed for recovery.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.