programs for iMac

Reaction score
Hi I am new to iMac and new to forums. We just bought a 27 iMac. This is our first Apple computer and we are loving it.
I was wondering if there is an app out that will allow you to control the computer through voice only? Kinda like Siri. Tell it to open mail and it does. Tell it to got to a specific website and it will??
thank you in advance.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac Forums.

If you have an extra $199.99 laying around, you can buy Dragon Dictate for the Mac 3 from here.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
There are several ways to do what you want. Which way is best will depend upon what level of control you want and to some extent your budget.

1. If your needs are really basic then Speakabke Items may be enough. It is built into the OS and gives some degree of control. Speakable Items is configured using the Accessibility preference pane in System Preferences. Here's an overview I wrote for an earlier version that covers the basics.

2. For a bit more control and flexibility check out Nuance Americas Online Store

EDIT: Beaten to the punch by chscag again. Shouldn't have taken time to toot my own horn. lol

OP
D
Reaction score
thank you both. I will take a look at Nuance. I have turned on the Speakable on the iMac but was looking more for controlling the computer through voice. I don't think Dragon has the control feature.
What I would like to do is interact with my computer as if it has artificial intelligence like Siri on the iPhone.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Dictate for Mac is focussed mainly on speech to text but there is also quite a bit that can be done to control the Mac with it as well.

Here's a link to the current manual. It will give you a better idea of what types of commands it can handle. There is a list of some application/commands beginning on page 71. I don't think this is a complete list though. The text editing functions, for example, work with most word processors though not all of them are listed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.