Why are my wife's iPhone 4s photos lower resolution?

Reaction score
My wife has an iPhone 4s, and I just noticed her photos have a resolution of 2048 x 1536. When I take photos with my iPhone 4s, the photos are around 2448 x 3264. Why is the resolution of her photos so much smaller than mine?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
From what i have read it has something to do with Photo Stream. Photo Stream stores the images at a slightly less resolution than those that are in your Camera Roll. Im not a Image/Resolution guru but have a read of this article in iLounge and you might get a better understanding than having me try to explain/confuse you ;)
HTH

Cheers

OP
Z
Reaction score
From what i have read it has something to do with Photo Stream. Photo Stream stores the images at a slightly less resolution than those that are in your Camera Roll. Im not a Image/Resolution guru but have a read of this article in iLounge and you might get a better understanding than having me try to explain/confuse you ;)
HTH

Cheers

Thanks, that explains it. Well, that really threw a wrench to my workflow plans!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Thanks, that explains it. Well, that really threw a wrench to my workflow plans!

What workflow plans ??
Try and explain it here and I'm sure someone could offer some advice of some sort and even come up with another way for you to work ?? Cant hurt..

Cheers

OP
Z
Reaction score
What workflow plans ??
Try and explain it here and I'm sure someone could offer some advice of some sort and even come up with another way for you to work ?? Cant hurt..

Cheers

I manage a large family media library and wanted the ability to grab photos my wife has taken, from her shared photo stream. Considering that the photos contained within photo stream are lower resolution, I won't be doing that. Photo stream notwithstanding, I have a better solution - PhotoSync. This allows my wife to sync photos AND movies from her iPhone, to a directory on my iMac. Subsequently I have a launchd daemon running which uses WatchPath to watch the folder where PhotoSync transfers the files. Any photos or videos placed in this folder are then automatically processed by several shell scripts of mine. It works extremely well.

I was actually exporting photos from my wife's photo stream to this watched directory, when I discovered they were of lower resolution. It would be nice to have this capability as well, but leave it to Apple to make the photos in photo stream a lower resolution, rendering them useless as keepers. Useless unless photo resolution is not a factor.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMO though, unless your going to print poster size pictures, the resolution still is still quite high for everyday use? I really don't see the loss of that little resolution is such a big deal.
Granted I'm not a Pro Photographer, (My Ex is) and i have learnt things from her, but still i have just gone back over some of the images i have gone on had printed as A4 size and 1 was from my photo stream and i can't see ANY difference what so ever.
Still decision is yours but just my 2c

Cheers

OP
Z
Reaction score
IMO though, unless your going to print poster size pictures, the resolution still is still quite high for everyday use? I really don't see the loss of that little resolution is such a big deal.
Granted I'm not a Pro Photographer, (My Ex is) and i have learnt things from her, but still i have just gone back over some of the images i have gone on had printed as A4 size and 1 was from my photo stream and i can't see ANY difference what so ever.
Still decision is yours but just my 2c

Cheers

You're right, in most cases the difference in resolution will be inconsequential. But how I first noticed a problem was that in my automated workflow, I have a script which adds a small subtle date stamp to the bottom right of the photos. This date stamp was HUGE in the photo stream photo, because of the lower resolution.

Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ahhh got ya. That explains it more.
That photo sync should be good for you, and there is another that might be easy to use as well called Bump and you can Read about it here and here is the iOS App..

I have used both and Bump works better for me with only doing a few Photo's and P/Sync world well with quite a few. Also you have DropBox and i have something similar that looks in my Dropbox folder and runs a script when it finds some there. All good alternatives. I find DropBox more efficient as it sync as you add the images and there on your Mac without having to do anything OTHER than putting them in DropBox on the iOS device . .

HTH

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.