iMac Intel Duo

Reaction score
Just got my first Mac and picked an iMac Intel Duo - 17". Anyone else have this setup?

Is anyone else running into little bugs and problems? I get a lot of programs crashing and that sort of thing. I want to blame it on new technology but sometimes I feel like im back on the PC again ;)

Hopefully Apple and the software manufacturers will make some updates available soon.

Looking forward to your replies.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Well what programs are crashing for you? It could be that they aren't supported by Rosetta and the universal binaries aren't available yet.

OP
PromoPunch
Reaction score
Hi there,

A few that have crashed are:

Retrospect which came with my Western Digital USB drive for backups....
Mac Mail both when trying to import and just when using it
Fetch FTP program
Latest version of firefox on several ocassions
Safari a time or two
iTunes
iChat
Audium so much that I had to remove it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody Macbook 2.0, Blackberry Bold (Good Riddance iPhone)
We have a 20" Intelmac and I am having the same problems. It is my mother's computer and she uses AOL. (Don't ask) It locks up the computer everytime you try to use it. I also just tried to install her Eskape Labs MyTV PVR device, and the software won't load. It's really frustrating. Makes me almost wish I was on a PC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.4GHz (AL) iMac+
I'm trying to get my sister to buy this/switch...Intel iMac 17"

Should she wait or buy the PowerPC??? I don't want her coming back to me...asking why is this happening...should this, being a Mac and all...!!! I'm also new to Mac with my Mini...!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 1.83Ghz, 1GB Ram, 60GB HD. 19in. external display, bluetooth keyboard and mouse. Closed Lid.
I'm using a 17in intel imac and the only crashes I've experienced is:

1. Front Row - while running 5 programs in background and using baseline 512mb of ram.

and that only happened once.

I really am enjoying my imac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP (Mid-2015), 2.8 Ghz i7, 16GB DDR3, AMD M370X Gfx, 1 TB SSD
Sounds rather hit and miss, and a lot of 3rd party apps are unstable. That's to be expected on a new platform (those of us who are old-timers can think back to when PPC first came out!)

Give it time, and those intel macs will be running as sweetly as the G5s do. Maybe better...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
i-VTEC said:

Should she wait or buy the PowerPC??? I don't want her coming back to me...asking why is this happening...should this, being a Mac and all...!!! I'm also new to Mac with my Mini...!!!

I'd go with the PowerPC from what I've seen as of the past few days.

OP
PromoPunch
Reaction score
Even with the problems I have experienced, I haven't looked back at my PC's. The problems I am having on the Mac are a different set of problems than the PC but thats a good thing. The main problems with the PC were related to productivity, and performance. This iMac is the best computing experience I have ever had. I've had it for 3 days, and it's already changed how I do things!

E

Ex_PC_Puke

i-VTEC said:

Rule of thumb (for those who hate hassles) - avoid any new MAJOR platform or OS transitions for 8 - 12 months. I'd have her go for a PPC iMac - plenty of juice and plenty of software around now and for many years to come. It will be just as many years until all the major application x86 ports are done - stable and tuned. Sit back and enjoy the show :p

My new PPC iMac will be ready for retirement in '08 ----- from my last talks with Intel CPU architects (in '04) there is going to be some crazy S*#t coming our way in '08 - '10 as far as CPU architecture and resulting OS implications :spook:

Reaction score
Crashes

PromoPunch said:
Just got my first Mac and picked an iMac Intel Duo - 17". Anyone else have this setup?

Is anyone else running into little bugs and problems? I get a lot of programs crashing and that sort of thing. I want to blame it on new technology but sometimes I feel like im back on the PC again ;)

Hopefully Apple and the software manufacturers will make some updates available soon.

Looking forward to your replies.

Thanks!
I have a 20" iMac intel and the only problem I've had so far is with Quicken 2006. It crashes whenever i attempt to open "registers". Everything else works fine except a scratched CD gets hung up when trying to Rip and you have to do a Force Quit to make it eject. i hope i don't ruin my super drive. It seems to be mighty sensitive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.