FileVault 2 access on a PC?

Reaction score
Hi, new member here and new Mac user since last September after using Windows for almost 20 years.

I have a Macbook Pro that I backup using Timemachine and CCC with two external hard drives on a weekly rotation and keeping one of the hard drives off site at work. I use Filevault 2 on both drives.

I still have a PC at home (for emergencies) and have plenty of access to PC's at work. My question is if for any reason I lost access to my Macbook (i.e theft or broken outside of the warranty period) it may be a bit before I could afford to replace the Mac therefore is there any way of accessing the backup's on a PC considering they are encrypted?

C

chas_m

Not that I know of.

I don't recommend Filevault for non-government users, though of course some may feel their personal data is sensitive enough to warrant it. While admittedly a guard against possible identity theft etc, the risks and complications of it outweigh the benefits for typical users. In particular, forgetting the master password was a common issue when I worked as a tech, and there was nothing I could do to help customers with that problem. The data was unrecoverable.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.