• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

which 27" iMac options for best value

Reaction score
I am finally buying a 2012 27" Imac - mainly for non-professional Video/photo Editing 90% and possibly gaming 10%. I need help on the options that would give me the best overall value for the money- biggest bang for the buck. Of course If money was no object i would just max out the system ($800 in upgrades) but oviously that is not the case. Maybe there is definete upgrade(s) that i must get. or you can help me prioritze the upgrades for video editing and such. no wrong answers and your input appreciated.

here are the menu choices with upgrade costs.
there are more choices on the Apple site but i am narrowing my selection to just these:

3.2GHz Quad-core Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
3.4GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz [Add $200.00]
8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM
16GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM [Add $200.00]
1TB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200 rpm
1TB Fusion Drive [Add $250.00]
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675MX 1GB GDDR5
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB GDDR5 [Add $150.00]

Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Don't worry about the extra memory as you can add that later on for much less yourself. As far as the faster processor goes, I would skip it as you probably won't be able to tell the difference anyway.

I would definitely go for the better video as that's something which will greatly enhance your video - photo editing, especially if you're using power software such as Photoshop.

The Fusion drive - I personally would not order one as the technology is new (for Apple), however, folks who have one say that it really speeds things up. Your choice. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.