Importing while converting aWMA. file into Garageband

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
Hi All . . . I tried in vain to work this out on my own, but I need some help. I have a wma. file on my desktop. I need to convert it to a file type Garageband can use. I was going to use Apple lossless, but it doesn't have to be that particular one. Then I need to import it into Garageband for editing. Do I need to import while converting this file into iTunes first? Could someone tell me step by step how to accomplish this? The HELP features in both iTunes and Garageband weren't so helpful to me. Thank you in advance.

Thanks,
Brent

OP
Dogbreath
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
Thanks chas_m . . . It is a soundtrack I recorded on my Windows computer at work, put on a flash drive, and loaded onto my Mac Desktop. Flip4Mac plays it just fine. All instructions I found in iTunes HELP made it sound like I could open iTunes and drag the sound file into the iTunes window and the sound file would be converted as it was being imported. This never worked. The file "bounces" right back to the Desktop. I was hoping I already had something capable of converting this file. I am checking out chas_m's recommendation for now. Thanks . . . . Brent

C

chas_m

iTunes on the Mac cannot convert WMA files. It can handle WAV, AIFF, MP3 and other standards but not proprietary things like WMA. Thus the need for a third-party converter, luckily it's free. :)

OP
Dogbreath
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks chas_m, I downloaded the MediaHuman Audio Converter per your recommendation. It worked very well. It was basic, simple to use, and free...although I'm going back to the site on payday and make a donation because I appreciate the developer's efforts.
I successfully imported the converted track into Garageband and did the editing. I am a happy music man.

I can now recommend MediaHuman Audio Converter to anyone needing to convert various media files. Check out the link chas_m provided in his post above...(thanks again, chas_m). There are several more interesting apps listed in that same link. Check 'em out!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.