New to Garageband, VERY Frustrated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, OSX 10.8.5, 2.5 GHz Intel core i5 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 - I also have an iPad Air.
It sure looks like a lot of fun, and has some interesting features, but I just wanna do a simple recording for now; was hoping I could do it like a real recorder, like being able to record part of a track, then stop, then add the next part, etc. I looked in help, watched the "movie" experimented with it for THREE HOURS. Sad to say I'm very unhappy, despite the good audio quality. Oh well, another tech day from down below. :(

Still no luck, must be doing something wrong, instructions aren't the best.

OP
Quietone
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, OSX 10.8.5, 2.5 GHz Intel core i5 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 - I also have an iPad Air.
wow, no response. wow. :( :( :(

OP
Quietone
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I may have figured it out myself, seems ok so far.

I.M.O.G.

Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I believe Mac's are meant to be admired, not owned
Moved this to its own thread - your post was originally made to an old thread which belonged to someone else. Creating your own thread is usually better to ensure you get attention to your issue.

What have you done so far? Other may have more input if you can share what you've tried so far.

OP
Quietone
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oops! Sorry about being in the wrong place.

What I did so far, I re-read the instructions. Some days the brain doesn't get it, so I put the project away and try again till somehow everything comes together. And just a few minute ago I found the manual for it at Apple. Why I didn't see it before, I don't know. Here's the link, for anyone else having trouble. Anything new takes awhile to learn.

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/GarageBand_08_Getting_Started.pdf

OP
Quietone
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Now if only I could disable the internal mic! I called Apple, was told it should shut down when an external is plugged in, but the internal still showed a signal, I looked in help, told the tech person what it said; I couldn't find it anywhere so far.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
It has been a while since I really used GarageBand but have you changed the Preference settings in GarageBand. Plug in / connect the mic you want to use and do the following:

1. Create a project or open an existing one
2. In GarageBand's preferences click Audio/Midi
3. In the Audio Input drop down menu select your mic.

C

chas_m

The built-in mic is automatically disabled for me when I plug in my USB mic. I get a dialogue box that asks me if I want to use that as the source, and confirmation that I'm using the correct input source on screen here:

Screen Shot 2013-04-06 at 2.12.53 PM.jpg

OP
Quietone
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The built-in mic is automatically disabled for me when I plug in my USB mic. I get a dialogue box that asks me if I want to use that as the source, and confirmation that I'm using the correct input source on screen here:

View attachment 18905
Ahhhh it has to be a USB mic? Mine is not. Hmmmm. Thank you for your message. :Blushing:

C

chas_m

No, it doesn't have to be a USB mic (though that is a good option).

You can use the Audio/MIDI setup in Garageband's preferences to manually select the input source, as Sylv suggested:

Screen Shot 2013-04-12 at 6.29.35 PM.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.