iDVD

Reaction score
I would really like to iDVD which apple no longer provide with their latest version and also do not supply support for. I believe that iDVD forms part of iLife now but wonder what version is safe to use should I be able to buy a second hand copy and am I able to isolate and only instal iDVD. Please tell me how to do so if possible. Raejo:'(

C

chas_m

You can buy a disk of iLife '09 (the last to include iDVD) from a seller on places like Craigslist, Amazon, Ebay etc.

The installer for the disk will let you do a custom install of just the app you want. I can confirm that iDVD still works on Mountain Lion (not that you told us what version of the OS you have, mind you ...)

OP
R
Reaction score
Hi Chas thanks for your reply. Yes I do have iMac OS X A10.8.3 (MOUNTAIN LION). I was of the understanding that the last iLife to include iDVD was No. 11 - I must be wrong. I may have a go as it seems to be a great program.Raejo

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
The box set version of iLife 11 includes iDVD.

You can likely find iLife 09 cheaper and iDVD is vs. 7 in both.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
The box set version of iLife 11 includes iDVD.

You can likely find iLife 09 cheaper and iDVD is vs. 7 in both.

Did not realize / did not know the version of iLife was the same on both discs. Good to know since I cannot find my iLive '11 discs. at the moment. I have replaced the rest of the software through the Apple store.

I personally like iDVD and wish they would either continue revising it or at least make it a bit more stable. I have not seen any program yet, other than perhaps the components in previous versions of Final Cut, with templates that nice.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Yeah, when I was checking, the iDVD version in iLife 11 just had a more current update.

Actually iDVD version 7 is also part of iLife 08.
So, no changes to iDVD since then except a couple of updates which you can get using Software Update.
How much longer it will continue to work is anyone's guess.
I'd think it could be broken at any future OS update/upgrade.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Excellent I think I can find the '08 disc. It seems to crash more frequently for me than I would like. Maybe because in the past I have been doing projects that are at / near the limit for the length of DVD it does well.

Maybe the additional memory I installed this week will help out a bit with that.

C

chas_m

Actually, iDVD tends to crash if it can't find enough *contiguous free disk space* to create the GIGANTIC temporary files it needs to create during the multiplexing and burning process.

Figure you need at *least* 8X the free space available (preferably much more) than what the final product (4.7GB) DVD will require in order to have a smooth iDVD experience. RAM doesn't play much of a role with DVD creation.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know I have much more free space than that but had not thought about it needing to be contiguous. I always figured that it needed a bit more memory than I had (4GB). I'll give that idea a try as soon as I find the discs.

OP
R
Reaction score
Hi Again, I have looked at the iLife 11 version of iDVD and in it there a host of templates called Older Ones (I think it is) - you cannot download them any longer. Does anyone have them or know how I can get them to add to the iDVD I now have?? There are about 20 or 30 of them. When you click on them it says you have to go to the internet to download them but when you do that it won't allow you to. Help!
Thanks Raejo

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.