video importing from panasonic SDR-S50

Reaction score
My Mac won't import video from my Panasonic SDR-S50 camcorder. I have imported the video clip I need to a PC and put it on my Time Machine hard drive but can't convert it from a MOD to a file that Mac understands. Please help. I searched online for a free file converter but now I have a watermark or no audio. There has to be a free file conversion that has no watermark and audio. Right?

M

MacInWin

What Mac? What version of OSX? What application are you using to import? How is the camera connected? What messages do you get when you try to import from the camera? How did you put the video clip on the TM Drive? What did you do to convert it?

Hard to help with so little data.

OP
S
Reaction score
My apologies

I'm sorry I didn't think it was important. I'm using an iMac and running Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5 (11G63). I took the 16GB Kingston SD card memory card out and put it in the slot on the right side of the iMac screen and the screen then reads (Preparing import from 'CAM_SD'...), but it never imports anything. I then put the card in a Toshiba Satellite laptop and the file was imported but it is a MOD file, which plays fine on the Toshiba. Then I wirelessly copied it to my 1GB Time Capsule, which appears on my iMac but won't play. It reads
Unreadable Files: 1
The following file could not be imported. (the file is an unrecognized format.) /Volumes/CAM_SD/SD_VIDEO/PRG001/MOV001.MOD

Thanks for your response.

M

MacInWin

With a search, I found several converters, none free. I don't have a camcorder, so I can't test any of them. Here are two links I found that you can explore:

Convert MOD to MP4
iSkysoft converter

I found one reference that says VLC will play MOD files, but I didn't see it on the VLC website and I don't have any to test. It's free so you could try that to see if it does work.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thank you for everybody's advice. However, I feel kinda silly since it worked on iMovie and I hadn't even tried it before I posted. Still learning....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.