Windows Office & Mac Office

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.4GHz (AL) iMac+
Trying to convince my sister to pick-up/switch to the new Intel iMac 17"...!!!

She has a question using Office/Word for Windows @ Work and bringing it home...are they compatible...???

Thanks in Advance....!!!

Reaction score
It works better...

I personally think it works better on the Mac than the PC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 1.42//2 Power Mac B&W G3/350
i-VTEC said:
Trying to convince my sister to pick-up/switch to the new Intel iMac 17"...!!!

She has a question using Office/Word for Windows @ Work and bringing it home...are they compatible...???

Thanks in Advance....!!!

If you're referring to the files, then yes they are compatible.

D

djmitch

mynameis said:
Yeah, it'll work fine.
Is this reply based on your actual experience with an Intel Mac or is it based on speculation? Wouldn't you have to install Windows on your Intel Mac THEN Office for Windows in order for it to work? I'm not so sure you can run a Windows program on an Intel Mac just because it now has an Intel chip. Please correct me if I'm wrong!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
Do you mean the software discs itself, or the files?

The discs won't work, but the files will be fine if running Pages (my choice over Word) or Word, or any of the other alternatives.

Reaction score
djmitch said:
Is this reply based on your actual experience with an Intel Mac or is it based on speculation? Wouldn't you have to install Windows on your Intel Mac THEN Office for Windows in order for it to work? I'm not so sure you can run a Windows program on an Intel Mac just because it now has an Intel chip. Please correct me if I'm wrong!

There is a version of Office for OS X and Microsoft is going to continue to support it for OS X for at least 5 years. The current should run fine on an Intel Mac thanks to Rosetta, but I am sure a native version will be out soon. I assumed that when he mentioned bringing it home, that he only mean the files and not the actual Windows version of the software.

Reaction score
I'm not sure but i think open office 2 works with Office files.
Also Open Office 2 run natively on Intel Macs.

I dont think office on the Mac works better then the PC version (they work the same if you ask me).

But i agree it looks heaps cooler on the Mac which makes you wonder why dont M$ make things look that good on the PC?

Reaction score
macanal said:
I'm not sure but i think open office 2 works with Office files.
Also Open Office 2 run natively on Intel Macs.

Open Office can deal with Word files. The Intel Mac version is only in Alpha, so I wouldn't rely on that too much.

C

coolemt

It is compatible with Windows. There is a great feature on OfficeMac. When you finish up or are in the middle of a doc, u can click on something and it checks the compatibility with Windows. I have not had one rejected as of yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67GHZ 15" PowerBook G4 Widescreen "The Great Last PowerBook"/20" iMac Core Duo, 2GB RAM, 256VRAM
same here I use a dell at work and my PowerBook at home. Haven't had a problem yet with it not being compatible. I agree with the above post as well that Office:Mac looks a lot better than it does on Windows (opinion).

P

pbook24

UN\nless she will be using all of the features of office and not just the word processing, id say have her download open office. it reads office files automatically and you just need to change the save to .doc in order to work with office

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.