Simple cropping & resizing option?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hey all - joined over a year ago in anticipation of acquiring an Apple computer, but now just obtained a MacBook Pro and am transitioning over from my old Dell laptop. Once I learn enough about the Mountain Lion OS, I'll replaced our DT Dell w/ XP w/ a new iMac - :)

I'll likely be asking a lot of simple questions @ the start but hope to contribute in the future (I've been pretty active on the iPadForums - have an older iPod Touch & iPad 2).

BUT after a little searching on the subject topic, I found just a few older threads - likely missed some. I've used IrfanView for years on my PC computers, just for simple cropping & resizing of images to post to forums or to send to friends & relatives.

So, just wondering what might be some reliable & easy to use favorites? Free or nominal fee either fine - I just don't need a powerful image editor (was in academics and used PhotoShop for my lectures but now retired). Thanks for any comments & suggestions - Dave :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
You can crop in Preview.app (the default app for opening image files).
Make the selection you's like to crop to, then press Command+K (or Tools>Crop).

I also have a couple AppleScripts that allow me to simply drag and drop files onto the script, then the script runs and shrinks (or batch shrinks) the images to the specific dimensions depending on the script (1480, 900, 400)

OP
RadDave
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks all for your responses - I'll take a look @ each suggestion - :) Dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Here's the script I use. If you have a set width you like to stay with or use, this is great.. just adjust the script (set at just 200 below) to the desired dimension. then drag & drop. :)

Code:
on open some_items
	repeat with this_item in some_items
		try
			rescale_and_save(this_item)
		end try
	end repeat
end open

to rescale_and_save(this_item)
	tell application "Image Events"
		launch
		set the target_width to 200
		-- open the image file
		set this_image to open this_item

set typ to this_image's file type

copy dimensions of this_image to {current_width, current_height}
		if current_width is greater than current_height then
			scale this_image to size target_width
		else
			-- figure out new height
			-- y2 = (y1 * x2) / x1
			set the new_height to (current_height * target_width) / current_width
			scale this_image to size new_height
		end if

tell application "Finder" to set new_item to ¬
			(container of this_item as string) & "scaled." & (name of this_item)
		save this_image in new_item as typ

end tell
end rescale_and_save

OP
RadDave
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks again for the help & suggestions - I was searching & googling today on the topic and learning more about the 'built-in' tools of Mountain Lion - discovered some of the features of the 'Preview' mode - below is a pic (Linn Cove Viaduct around Grand Father Mtn, NC - part of the Blue Ridge Parkway) brought into the viewer w/ the edit button selected - cropping and resizing can be easily done - for the purpose of resizing my camera images or preparing images for web presentation, this should fill my needs for the moment. Dave :)

Screen%20Shot%202013-03-29%20at%205.34.14%20PM-M.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.