help partitioning for windows

Reaction score
when i try to partition my hard drive i get this error

'The disk can not be partitioned because some files cant be moved
Back up the disc an use disc utility to format it as a single mac OS Extended (journaled) volume. restore your information to the disk and use Boot Camp Assistant again.'

i have used time machine to back up my laptop but how do i format it and stop this happening again.

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The message is somewhat deceiving. What it's really saying is that you don't have enough continuous free space to create a Boot Camp partition. In other words, your disk is fragmented. Contrary to belief, Mac hard disks do become fragmented for one reason or another.

Several ways to resolve the problem.

1. Make a backup with Time Machine. Erase the drive, reformat, restore with Time Machine. Note: Cloning software does not work the same way and can not be used.

2. Purchase iDefrag and use it to remove the fragmentation.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Is there a cheaper alternative to Idefrag?

Yes. See method number 1 in my previous reply.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.