Mail Problem

Reaction score
I have a 2009 5.2MacBook Pro, and I am getting weird e-mail issues.

1) Every so often when I send mail, I get a message:

"Cannot send message using server SMTP."
"The server “smtp.gmail.com” rejected the address “r”."

None of my account setting have changed. What has happened and how do I fix it?

2) I have an icon next to Inbox. When clicked I get the following:

"Unable to receive mail
There may be a problem with the mail server or network. Verify the settings for account “pop.gmail.com” or try again.

The server returned the error: The attempt to read data from the server “pop.gmail.com” failed."

But I am still receiving mail.

What's going on?

Harriet

C

chas_m

I have a 2009 5.2MacBook Pro, and I am getting weird e-mail issues.

1) Every so often when I send mail, I get a message:

"Cannot send message using server SMTP."
"The server “smtp.gmail.com” rejected the address “r”."

None of my account setting have changed. What has happened and how do I fix it?

Correct the broken email address you are trying to send to when you get this message.

2) I have an icon next to Inbox. When clicked I get the following:

"Unable to receive mail
There may be a problem with the mail server or network. Verify the settings for account “pop.gmail.com” or try again.

The server returned the error: The attempt to read data from the server “pop.gmail.com” failed."

But I am still receiving mail.

What's going on?

Harriet

Assuming you are *supposed* to be using POP (the whole point of GMail is to use IMAP), it may be trying to tell you that it could not reach Google's POP server at that moment. If you have only the one GMail account and you're still receiving mail, I would ignore this message. If you have multiple email accounts, it's saying that it had a problem with GMail but your other accounts wouldn't be affected by that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.