HELP NEEDED: System Prefs error!

A

admiralpye

Okay, I got a PB G4 15" for Christmas (replacing my PB G4 12"). It was heaven.

However, the New Year "reinvent yourself" bug bit me and I started customizing my desktop, changing icons, etc.

Anyway, I changed the icon for my System Preferences and it suddenly became a ? in the dock. It also disappered in my Applications folder. So I searched and found it, put it back to the App folder and verified/repaired disk permissions. I restarted. To no avail. When I try to open it the message reads:

"System Preferences application cannot be launched -10661"

What else can I do to restore the System Preferences application? I'd appreciate the help. Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo iMac, 1.5 GHZ PPC Mac Mini, MacBook MB403LL/A
Sounds like you've already done this, but FWIW:

http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/mac911/2004/12/restoreorder/index.php

If I "Show Package Contents" on my System Preferences, I see the following within the 'Contents' Directory:

info.plist
pkgInfo
version.plist
'MacOS' Directory
'Resources' Directory

Within the 'MacOS' Directory, I see 'System Preferences' (what, as a Mac newbie, I assume to be the executable)

Within the 'Resources' Directory, I see a total of 30 files:
ARDSubstitute.prefPane
BackAdorn.png
CircleBadge.png
ExtensionDict.xml
ForwardAdorn.png
InstallAssistant
NSPrefPaneDefaultToolbar.plist
NSPrefPaneGroups.plist
PrefApp.icns
PrefFile.icns
ScreenSaverIcons.icns
spotlight.tif
spotlightdim.tif
SystemPreferences.scriptSuite
SystemPreferences.scriptTerminology

And what appears to be 15 language related directories.

Hope this helps. If you need to compare anything with what I show, post a follow-up.

Mark

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I also did some noodling around, and found that this, from within Terminal should start System Preferences (apologies to the Mac/Unix veterans if the syntax is wrong). At least, I confirmed I can launch System Preferences this way. Might be worth a try to see if it'll start from the command line. Start Terminal. You should be in your "home directory". Then type just the commands on the left (the arrows/text are explanatory):

cd / <---- to root/top level of directory structure
ls <--should list the Applications directory among others
cd Applications <--change to Applications directory
ls <---verify you're where you want to be

open 'System Preferences.app' <-- should start System Preferences

Mark

OP
A

admiralpye

geekboy2000 said:
I also did some noodling around, and found that this, from within Terminal should start System Preferences (apologies to the Mac/Unix veterans if the syntax is wrong). At least, I confirmed I can launch System Preferences this way. Might be worth a try to see if it'll start from the command line. Start Terminal. You should be in your "home directory". Then type just the commands on the left (the arrows/text are explanatory):

cd / <---- to root/top level of directory structure
ls <--should list the Applications directory among others
cd Applications <--change to Applications directory
ls <---verify you're where you want to be

open 'System Preferences.app' <-- should start System Preferences

Mark

Thanks, geekboy.

I'll update as soona s I have it back up and running

OP
A

admiralpye

Hello! Thanks for your help, macman (via private message) and geekboy. I finally got my System Preferences app up and running again.

Here's what I did:

-Loaded Mac OS Install Disc 1
-Opened Pacifist and chose "Open Mac OSX Install Packages"
-Clicked the "Essentials.pkg" (where the System Pref app is)
-Clicked "Extract"

The "essentials" folder was extracted into my Applications folder. I opened it and dragged the System Preferences app to replace my defective System Preferences app and voila! It works!

Thanks again and I hope this thread will help other users who encounter similar problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad you got it going, and thanks for posting what resolved it. Sooner or later, I can see me ending up in a similar situation. :)

Mark

OP
A

admiralpye

Mr Bobbins said:
Have you heard of 'Candy bar' it's a program that will change icons to whatever you like. Maybe of interest to you if your into customization.

http://www.panic.com/candybar/

Yes, thanks! Someone messaged me and said to check it out. And it works like a dream, I might add. So easy to use. I stayed up all night customizing everything I could. Satisfied my "reinvention" obssession for the moment.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.