Migration Assistant Help

Reaction score
So I got a new MacBook Pro today and started the Migration Assistant to transfer stuff from my old MacBook to my new one. However, I don't have any ethernet cables right now available, so I started it over the wi-fi network, but it taking quite a while.

Is it safe for me to stop the process or will it harm my new MacBookPro?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The fastest and best way to do a migration from an older Mac to a brand new one is to use Time Machine. Just attach the Time Machine drive to the new Mac before creating an account on it and everything will be transferred over rather quickly. Doing a migration by WiFi is like watching paint dry on a barn. ;)

No, don't interrupt the migration. Let it finish. It won't harm the new MacBook Pro but you may wind up having to do it again.

OP
K
Reaction score
The fastest and best way to do a migration from an older Mac to a brand new one is to use Time Machine. Just attach the Time Machine drive to the new Mac before creating an account on it and everything will be transferred over rather quickly. Doing a migration by WiFi is like watching paint dry on a barn. ;)

No, don't interrupt the migration. Let it finish. It won't harm the new MacBook Pro but you may wind up having to do it again.

Well if I stop it, I would just bring it into the Apple store within the next few days and just have them do it there. But I wasn't sure if it would harm my new macbook Pro if I stop it.

C

chas_m

Yes, stopping it would likely screw up the user account, so I'd suggest you let it finish (and yes, it will take quite a lot of time if you had a lot of stuff in your old account!).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.