• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

iMovie/Mac won't recognise video files from Sony

Reaction score
I've been trying to import the videos from my Sony HDR-cx130 camera to my Macbook however no matter how much I try it just wont work. I've tried connecting it via the USB on the cam or putting the memory card in the card reader in my computer. The JPEG's I've taken with my camera appear, but none of the video files. Does anyone have a clue as to how to fix this? It's super frustrating!

C

chas_m

That's Sony for you ... (seriously, they work long and hard at making sure their products don't work well with Macs!)

If you have any info from your manual about exactly what format these video files are in, that would be helpful. Are they visible at all when you mount the memory card in the card reader?

OP
N
Reaction score
I actually have no clue what format its in :3 Can I figure it out from my camera? I think it said the camera compatible with Mac on the box however the Picture Motion Browser (software in the box) isn't.

I'm using iPhoto and iMovie. I don't really need iMovie as I never thought of editing my videos or anything (though would be nice) but I just want them imported onto my laptop so I can then store them in my hard drive. The memory card in the camera is only 32GB and it gets full often. It's such a hassle to go look for a PC to download them there then in a Windows only compatible hard drive.

Reaction score
Sony

I've just moved over from PC to Mac and had this problem with an old Sony Camera and Windows Movie Maker. I could only get Sony to take videos into the old movie maker.

EDIT : Downloaded a movie from a Sony Cybershot old camera and it goes to my MAC OSX in MPG form and does transfer fine to IMovie. So, better than Windows by a mile. Well done Mac!

So, lets just say if you can get movies to MAC in MPG you should have no problems. It downloads to Quicktime player first btw. Make sure you have Quicktime installed and that may help you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.