Learning the Lingo of Posting Here

Reaction score
Hi --
I'm a newbie to Macs and also to posting in a forum.

I have to use a PC at work but my own computer is a MacBook that my brother gave me. I have a lot to learn and to keep straight between PC & Mac.

Since I just joined I was advised to post a thread here to start out. I am unfamiliar with the terminology and how to set up my account here.

For example:
1) Trackbacks - it says they are multiple URLs with spaces. OK - for what? And it is asking me where I want Trackbacks sent to. I don't know.
2) In the box labeled Additional Options
A. What does it mean to "Automatically parse links in text"?
B. What does it mean to "Retrieve titles from external links"?
C. What is "Post a Poll"?
D. What is "Post a poll with this thread"?
E. What is "Number of poll options"?

So far I'm just going with what looks like the default settings.

Thanks for any help! I appreciate it already!

Leanne

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Since I just joined I was advised to post a thread here to start out. I am unfamiliar with the terminology and how to set up my account here.

If you've successfully started & posted this thread...then you are already in great shape!:) This is the main activity that 99% of members do 99% of the time.

- Nick

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
For example:
1) Trackbacks - it says they are multiple URLs with spaces. OK - for what? And it is asking me where I want Trackbacks sent to. I don't know.
2) In the box labeled Additional Options
A. What does it mean to "Automatically parse links in text"?
B. What does it mean to "Retrieve titles from external links"?
C. What is "Post a Poll"?
D. What is "Post a poll with this thread"?
E. What is "Number of poll options"?

So far I'm just going with what looks like the default settings.

Thanks for any help! I appreciate it already!

Leanne
Welcome!

Sticking with the default options in a post will cover 98% of your needs. As for your questions, you can ignore C-E unless you need to create a poll. As for A, that statement is simply asking if you want the forum software to create links from any URLs that you include in your post. Question B is related - it's simply asking if you want the forum software to replace the link with the title from the website. In other words, instead of just making a URL into a clickable link, the software will rename the link with the name of the home page.

OP
L
Reaction score
lingo

Thanks Nick and thanks VanSmith for your prompt and helpful replies! I think I'm gonna like this. ;D

C

chas_m

Trackbacks are a system whereby you post a special URL for others to find this discussion, and Mac-Forums will know where the referral came from. I don't know exactly how they work as I've never used one.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.