iphoto wont put back images from trash ! ?

Reaction score
I have 93000 images and short video ammassed since 2000. I used to use PC and picasa and then two years ago bought an imac and noticed there were quite a few duplicates . Recently my mac has become full and ran out of disc space so I decided to tidy up. I tried to use 'duplicater cleaner for iphoto' but initially it did not work ( saying that iphots was not closed) . The next day I then was 'manually' deleting the aforementied photos duplicates when I looked to see that all of a sudden - iphoto had no images/videos in pictures and events ! I did however see them in iphoto trash. I attempted several times to put them back using 'put back' feature and dragging then to the pictues and or the events folder. It looked as if this worked initially but the numbers in each file ie pictues and trash stayed static. When I opened iphoto once again the photos are still in the trash. After the 5th attempt I managed to get 20333 of the 93000 put back . I still have around 70000 images sitting in the iphoto trash that looks as if they are back but then when I open iphoto again the same numbers exists in each iphot folder ie pictures 20333 and trash 70000 ( approx) . This equates to around 603 gb . By the way - I have time machine backups and also another manual iphoto library backup on an external drive.

Lastly, I downloaded iphoto library manager and it recognises all of my photos 93000 of them when looking at the iphoto library and also sizes it correctly as 603 gb .

How can I get iphoto itself to move photos back to pictures and become normal again ?

They all seem to be thier just that iphoto itself doesn't want to move them back from trash . Do I need to rebuild the database ? Has it become corrupt ?

Sorry for the long speil .......:(

OP
R
Reaction score
I have 93000 images and short video ammassed since 2000. I used to use PC and picasa and then two years ago bought an imac and noticed there were quite a few duplicates . Recently my mac has become full and ran out of disc space so I decided to tidy up. I tried to use 'duplicater cleaner for iphoto' but initially it did not work ( saying that iphots was not closed) . The next day I then was 'manually' deleting the aforementied photos duplicates when I looked to see that all of a sudden - iphoto had no images/videos in pictures and events ! I did however see them in iphoto trash. I attempted several times to put them back using 'put back' feature and dragging then to the pictues and or the events folder. It looked as if this worked initially but the numbers in each file ie pictues and trash stayed static. When I opened iphoto once again the photos are still in the trash. After the 5th attempt I managed to get 20333 of the 93000 put back . I still have around 70000 images sitting in the iphoto trash that looks as if they are back but then when I open iphoto again the same numbers exists in each iphot folder ie pictures 20333 and trash 70000 ( approx) . This equates to around 603 gb . By the way - I have time machine backups and also another manual iphoto library backup on an external drive.

Lastly, I downloaded iphoto library manager and it recognises all of my photos 93000 of them when looking at the iphoto library and also sizes it correctly as 603 gb .

How can I get iphoto itself to move photos back to pictures and become normal again ?

They all seem to be thier just that iphoto itself doesn't want to move them back from trash . Do I need to rebuild the database ? Has it become corrupt ?

Sorry for the long speil .......

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Please do not cross post. I merged both of your posts together here where you originally posted. You can always bring your post back to the the top by replying to it with the word "bump".

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.