• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

VHS to DvD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Die-hard Apple-head! 333 MHz grape, 350 MHz indigo blue, 2.1 GHz G5 & 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Hey all...

Question for everyone...
I have a VHS tape of my barrel races & would like to transfer it to DvD.
What is involved? Where do I send it to be done?
I've heard Walgreen's would do it, but am a little afraid of handing over my one & only copy of the tape.

Thanks all...
TCP :cool:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
OP
TheCloudPainter
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Die-hard Apple-head! 333 MHz grape, 350 MHz indigo blue, 2.1 GHz G5 & 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Well, you've effectively shut down any further conversations on the matter...
so much for the personal touch? LoL~

I don't mean to sound snotty, but I'm serious -
I have a few questions about all this gobbledegook... LoL~
I don't have a VHS camera - just a VHS-C camera - the tape in question is VHS.
I think I have a mental block against this all... my personal RAM may be full?

Look - I understand you may get tired answering the same things over & over again...
(I'm a MOD & ADMIN on a huge forum, too) but I understand it's part of the position.

And another thing -
what happened to the good old days of offering inexpensive work-arounds to members first?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, you've effectively shut down any further conversations on the matter...
so much for the personal touch? LoL~

Not necessarily. What I'm suggesting is (rather waiting hours or days for replies...if you get any)...is search Mac-Forums for answers. Since this question has been asked & answered many times before...you may find what you need in minutes!

I even linked you one previous thread to get you started...AND suggested a search term to use to find more threads!:)

I don't mean to sound snotty, but I'm serious -
I have a few questions about all this gobbledegook... LoL~

All questions are presumed to be serious...that's why folks post them in the first place!!

Look - I understand you may get tired answering the same things over & over again...
(I'm a MOD & ADMIN on a huge forum, too) but I understand it's part of the position.

If you understand all this...then why are you being argumentative??

Why not follow the suggestion I made above...which was to search Mac-Forums for the info you require...with the link I already provided to get you started...AND the search term I suggested.

- Nick

OP
TheCloudPainter
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
the posts on the link you posted were outdated -
does anyone know anything newer?

I have no idea where to start - what might be needed...
I've never done this before...

thanks...

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

As I also suggested...did you try a Mac-Forums search?

That thread/link that was provided is just one of many found on Mac-Forums.:)

- Nick

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
does anyone know anything newer?

I have no idea where to start - what might be needed...
I've never done this before...

thanks...
The posts in that thread are older. I think the last one was sometime in 2012. Normally that is ancient when it comes to technology but the situation hasn't changed.

I was tackling this very project recently until my Mac Pro died. Every solution I found was either mentioned in the previous thread or more expensive than the units in the thread. There are some USB-based devices that may be cheaper but most, and perhaps all of them, are intended for Windows users. Given the lack of drivers I doubt these will work.

I have seen reports where users were able to import the footage into iMovie by playing the tape back in the camera and letting iMovie capture the footage. In some cases it was possible to play the tape from a VCR through a video camera and from there into iMovie. Both of these methods assume that the camera is recognized by iMovie. The latter option also assumes that the camera has a pass thru mode.

Apple - iLife '11 Help - iMovie '11 Supported Cameras

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
The Elgato device found in both the first link by pigoo and more directly by chas_m is typically recognized as THE defacto standard.

OP
TheCloudPainter
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you all for the input!

The good news - it looks like you can use a VCR for the capture...
The bad news - lost all my VCRs in a wildfire in southern California...
On the bright side - if I did get that, then I could use it for future use with VHS-C tapes
(that I can't watch now anyways)

Thank you again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Personally I found the cheapest and certainly easiest way was to buy a VHS/DVD Recorder combo. You can pick them up for pennies these days, and you have no worry about cables, the need for a PC or anything else.

OP
TheCloudPainter
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know I've lived remotely for a few years (translate- in the sticks) & have been out of touch, but what are you talking about, Kevriano? Such an animal exists????

OP
TheCloudPainter
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Do what I did. Took VHS tapes to a local commercial photographer who does weddings etc and he transferred them to DVDs at a couple of dollars a pop a pop. That is how he did it, connected VHS player and DVD burner and copied.

OP
TheCloudPainter
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thank you, harry...

this is why I get so confused with this stuff...
*eyes cross, starts to drool*
LoL~

C

chas_m

You must be in one of those parts of Texas where the next gas station is 200 miles away! :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.