DiMage paperweight...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Die-hard Apple-head! 333 MHz grape, 350 MHz indigo blue, 2.1 GHz G5 & 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Hey all...

Hope this is the correct place for this...

Quite a few years ago *coughs*, I saved & saved to get a Minolta DiMage A1 camera...
It was awesome! Got some great photos that I could use in my artwork... (see attached)

Went to use it and the sensor CCD is gone, but because Sony bought them out, I think I'm out of luck. I seemed to have missed all the deadlines for recalls, too...

Any ideas?
It really breaks my heart that I now have an almost $1000 paperweight... :(

Thanks,
TCP

redtail1_zps6c5316b2.jpg

http://i1096.photobucket.com/albums/g327/TheCloudPainter/redtail1_zps6c5316b2.jpg

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
It really breaks my heart that I now have an almost $1000 paperweight...:(

As you probably know...this camera came out in 2003...so it's roughly a 10 year-old digital camera. This 10 year-old digital camera that cost $1000 in 2003...is now worth around $90 bucks (maybe).

Here's an e-Bay auction for "Buy It Now" $90 bucks:

Konica Minolta DiMAGE A1 Works GR8 5 0 MP Digital Camera Black A 1 0043325993824 | eBay

Non-working...they're selling for about $50 bucks.

So what you REALLY have is NOT a $1000 paperweight...but a $50 paperweight!;)

- Nick

OP
TheCloudPainter
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Die-hard Apple-head! 333 MHz grape, 350 MHz indigo blue, 2.1 GHz G5 & 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Hmmmm, that's supposed to help?
not...
(Nice newfy, btw)

Seriously - your customer service is really lacking...

Obviously I'm looking for work-arounds, not some slack-a** sarcastic comments.

That may not be a lot of money to you, but it is a **** of a lot to ME.

So call me cheeky, but I really believe you could be a little nicer to new members or maybe it's time to move on if you're that jaded. There's not a lot of conversing going on in the forum, as I see it... wouldn't hurt to engage, would it?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hmmmm, that's supposed to help?
not...
(Nice newfy, btw)

Seriously - your customer service is really lacking...

Obviously I'm looking for work-arounds, not some slack-a** sarcastic comments.

That may not be a lot of money to you, but it is a **** of a lot to ME.

I understand I may be more attached to that camera than I should be...

So call me cheeky, but I really believe you could be a little nicer to new members or maybe it's time to move on if you're that jaded. There's not a lot of conversing going on in the forum, as I see it... wouldn't hurt to engage, would it?

The point I was trying to make above is...a 10 year-old digital camera originally purchased for $1000...is now worth MAYBE $50 bucks. And if the CCD in this camera is non-operational...what you have is a 10 year-old digital camera that doesn't work...and will probably cost more to repair than it is worth.

So you don't have a $1000 paperweight...you have a $50 or less paperweight!

On top of all this is...for about $75-$100 bucks...you can probably purchase a brand new digital camera that most likely EXCEEDS your 10 year-old camera in every technical way!!!

- Nick

OP
TheCloudPainter
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmmmm,
not so much argumentative, as wanting answers, not cheesy lil jabs.
Such as - can a camera repair shop order this CCD in?
Have others experienced anything like this?

So please - lay off the caps and all the !!!
This isn't a 17 yr old spoiled kid here...
I did mention in my introduction - please be gentle with me... LoL~

C

chas_m

You could try calling around a few camera shops and see if anyone can resurrect that camera with a new CCD ... just understand that the bill will be somewhere in the range of buying a new and better camera. Still, I understand that you don't just want to throw it away.

If there are no local camera shops that can help, give B&H photo in NYC a call ... they will give you the straight truth on whether its doable and where to go. Don't hold your breath, but good luck.

Plus the good news is that a better camera will be much cheaper to buy if you have to go that route.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Wow, I'd say you're lucky that Nick was as nice as he was given that he was just trying to help! I'd not have been nearly as nice. And what's this about "customer service" ? This isn't a store, and you don't have to pay to get advice from anyone here.

He was being honest, and he was using lighthearted humor to try and make you feel better about your situation. The first thing you should have made note of, is that you can purchase the same exact camera in "gr8" condition for $80. The money you'd spend on trying to repair your "paperweight", is likely going to exceed that much.

Christ on a pony.

OP
TheCloudPainter
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you all for your input...
even the christ on a pony

Hard day for me yesterday -
my stallion I've had for over 25 years may be put to sleep this AM... (He's 31 yrs old...)
Hence, my posting about transferring VHS to DvDs, camera repairs, etc...
The last barrel races I did on him are on that one VHS tape...
I can't take pics of him with my paperweight...

Sorry if I came off cheeky & snotty - now you know the rest of the story~

PS:
as good as that camera was, I doubt I could afford to replace it with one of similar quality
It's been a while since I've checked them all out though...

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
. . .
as good as that camera was, I doubt I could afford to replace it with one of similar quality
It's been a while since I've checked them all out though...

Sorry about your horse, always tough to lose a loved one (furred or otherwise).

But, on your camera, honestly you would be hard pressed to find a modern camera that wasn't much better quality than your ancient Konica. I have owned many point and shoot cameras over the years (starting with an Agfa that produced 64K image files).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
It's understandable that you'd be upset at the loss of such a beautiful friend, and I'm sorry for that loss. I understand what that is like. Sometimes our pets or animals in general are more dear to us than actual flesh and blood family members!

Don't forget however, that even though this is just an internet forum, a good amount of us here have dealt with, and will deal with the death of a family member or good friend/pet etc.. This is life. And we can share these experiences together, rather than harbor the pain and have it manifest in the form of silly forum bickering. There's always a solution...

That said, why not just purchase that used one from eBay for $80? I don't know what kind of a budget you have to deal with, but if you don't mind buying used, you can get a better camera than the one you had for a lot less money these days. If you want to go the used route, I use KEH.com all the time for used glass, and have even picked up some great film bodies from them. Customer service is outstanding *they're based in GA* and have a 30 day return period if you're not satisfied.

You can pick up a Nikon or Canon DSLR for under $500 easily, that will surely best the DiMage you owned.

Doug

OP
TheCloudPainter
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ancient?
*cries*

yeah - I guess I get attached to equipment/technology and won't let go...
hence, the starting of an iMac museum... LoL~
Much to the horror & chagrin of a few people, I won't let them go... LoL~

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
TheCloudPainter
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Doug...

We escaped the Grim Reaper this morning~
severe osteoarthritis
we're going a different pain/anti-inflammatory medication & I'm doing DMSO poultice wraps 2xday for a week to see if this helps...
have to give him a realistic shot...
so relieved...

You can pick up a Nikon or Canon DSLR for under $500 easily, that will surely best the DiMage you owned.
Seriously? wow... didn't realize they were that inexpensive...

I think I got the DiMage because it did everything the cameras did w/o the interchangeable lenses without the hassle.

OP
TheCloudPainter
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
THAT'S IT! That's my baby!
ROFL!

okay - now is this tossing good money after bad?
I mean - what would a comparable camera of today's standards be?
I am a little lost in this world...
sorry...

funny comment on the reviews there...
"Cons: fairly complicated with steep learning curve, not for the casual shooter."
This was *definitely* one of the most complicated cameras I've ever learned to use... LoL~

Maybe time to graduate to a better system?
I know it's all up to the user's specs, but is something like this a good starting place?
http://www.keh.com/camera/Sony-Digital-Camera-Bodies/1/sku-DS029990965940?r=FE

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So long as he isn't suffering for the sake of having him around, that's good news, glad to hear it.

Getting into the DSLR game is something you should look into more carefully before making any decisions. For one thing, you should know what you like to shoot, and at what focal length you shoot at the most.

Picking up just any kit lens to go along with a body isn't necessarily the best thing to do. Kit lenses are usually those of the zoom variety eg; 18-55mm 18-105mm 35-70mm etc.. But the problem with those is that they are slow, and usually not of the best optical quality. Newer kit lenses are much better than they used to be, but still slow. When I say slow, I'm referring to their maximum aperture. Most kit lenses are something like f2.8-f5.6. I won't go into what that means, but will instead tell you to pick up a book called "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson. It's a staple in the industry, and written in layman terms.

Check out B&H photo or Adorama for used gear as well. They're both very reputable dealers (I shop them both here locally in NYC all the time. You can find amazing deals on their websites. Here's B&H's used Nikon stuff: Used Nikon DSLR| B&H Photo Video

Here's Sony's stuff. Sony makes excellent sensors and great cameras too: Used sony DSLR| B&H Photo Video

Just do some research and you'll find a plethora of good deals and info out there.

Doug

OP
TheCloudPainter
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you, Doug...

I'll do my research...

Yeah - as for Pondy (my stallion) - not his time yet...
we're giving him a fair chance at recovering before making THAT decision...
which I dread more than you can imagine... x

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
On the camera it would help a lot to get an idea of your budget and how you intend to shoot (eg do you want to take control or just let the camera do its business).

I'm with Doug on the DSLR, and hard to beat the Nikon D3100 right now as a good value in a starter DSLR. But, a DSLR might not be what you really need. So, if you would, tell us a bit on how you are going to use it, how much time you are willing to invest in learning, and what you are willing to spend.

EDIT: B&H has the Nikon D3100 Kit for $447
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/730210-REG/Nikon_25472_D3100_Digital_SLR_Camera.html

and, if you want a point & shoot that wont break the bank, there are many good options. Here is one for $150
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/839801-REG/Olympus_V102081RU000_SZ_12_Digital_Camera_Red.html

If you are willing to spend some bucks ($448) this is one sweet camera
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/880960-REG/Panasonic_dmc_lx7k_Lumix_LX7_Digital_Camera.html

C

chas_m

If you enjoy reading *incredibly* detailed reviews of various cameras, you might enjoy dpreview.com.

I get lost in those weeds pretty easily, and have recently been enjoying The Wirecutter instead. Gets to the point, backs up what they say.

If you don't enjoy interchangeable lens cameras (I don't either), you might want to look at some of the best mirrorless or even "superzoom" cameras rather than a dslr. Incredibly improvements in digital sensors in the last few years ...

The quality table seems to go like this: Medium format -> DSLR -> Mirrorless -> Superzoom -> Point and shoot. Priced accordingly.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.