wondering how long snow leopard will be supported

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
g4 ibook 1.2/512 leopard, 2007 MacBook 2.0 c2d lion, 20" imac 1.8 cd , 2010 mac mini
I am wondering how long snow leopard will be supported, my mom's mac mini has snow leopard on it and i am wondering how much longer snow leopard will be supported or if i should set her up with lion now.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Snow Leopard is at the .3 patch level right now and I wouldn't expect a .4 anytime soon or ever. The bulk of the work is going to be done on 10.8 Mountain Lion and future versions of OS X. Even Lion might not getting many updates..

Depending on the specs of the Mac Mini, Lion might be a good upgrade..and on the flip side, if things are working well with Snow Leopard right now, is there really a reason to upgrade?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
It's anybody's guess but I imagine that since Apple has moved to yearly releases for OS X, it will be sooner rather than later.
Snow Leopard is at the .3 patch level right now and I wouldn't expect a .4 anytime soon or ever.
Might want to check that. ;)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
...or if i should set her up with lion now.

Unless you already own Lion (OS 10.7)...you're going to have REALLY difficult time getting it. Since it hasn't been available on the Mac App Store since Mountain Lion was released (approx. July, 2012).

- Nick

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
It's anybody's guess but I imagine that since Apple has moved to yearly releases for OS X, it will be sooner rather than later.
Might want to check that. ;)

Bah! I was typing 10.6.8, and then for some reason thought about Leopard which is also 10.5.8 and got all confused..:)

So yes, 10.6.8 is the last release from 2011.

I think the OS X adoption rates (for people with supported hardware) has been pretty good, so I wouldn't think Apple would spend a lot of energy keeping an OS 2 versions prior to the current one up to date..

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Here's my opinion: Apple's Snow Leopard (10.6.8) is the equivalent of Microsoft's XP. It's not going away any time soon because it's a rock solid version of OS X and while it's Intel only, it supports PPC apps with the built in Rosetta.

C

chas_m

The truth is that nobody here knows how long Snow Leopard will be supported. My *guess* would be a lot less time than chscag thinks -- machine attrition will take care of most SL users over time, and ML adoption is already massive:

(handy chart from January, and accompanying article):

13.01.04-ML_Internet_Share.jpg

As you can see, the base is basically all on Snow Leopard and higher, which means they have access to the Mac App Store, which means they can buy the upgrade to ML or whatever comes after ML.

I would recommend to people who CAN upgrade to Mountain Lion to do so -- it's cheap, it's good, and you will significantly reduce any chance of problems when you upgrade to 10.9 or whatever they're going to call it.

If your hardware is quite old and/or just barely meets the required spec for ML, and you know you're going to be replacing it soon, you might opt to just stay where you are. I have a 2007 BlackBook that ran Lion just fine but if I were to sell it I'd put Snow Leopard on it for the best experience, given it's limited RAM capacity and lesser graphics card.

There's not really any path to Lion anymore, so that avenue is essentially closed and Lion numbers will fall significantly by year's end, you can rest assured. Apple could be making the update to Mountain Lion a LOT more "mandatory" than they have thus far, but they are apparently comfortable as long as the vast majority of the base are at least on Snow Leopard, which set the stage for everything that has come since.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I agree no one knows how long Apple may or may not support Snow Leopard, however, that does not remove the fact that it's rock solid and will continue to be run by owners of older hardware for years to come. Upgrading older hardware to Mountain Lion may or may not be advantageous for some folks.

C

chas_m

I agree no one knows how long Apple may or may not support Snow Leopard, however, that does not remove the fact that it's rock solid and will continue to be run by owners of older hardware for years to come.

I didn't mean to imply that it wouldn't (for a few years yet), but don't expect either Apple to support it or users to continue using it for 14 years like XP. Apple adds irresistible features to tempt users away from even well-liked versions (look at the Tiger figures for example, everyone LOVED Tiger).

Upgrading older hardware to Mountain Lion may or may not be advantageous for some folks.

I did, in fact, say exactly this in my own post. Quoting:
If your hardware is quite old and/or just barely meets the required spec for ML, and you know you're going to be replacing it soon, you might opt to just stay where you are.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.