G5 Won't Connect via Cable Modem

D

dziner

I just moved a few weeks ago and finally got broadband with Comcast Cable. The guy came out and hooked everything up. Gave me a Teryan cable modem, hooked it up, went into System Prefs, then Network and I had dan IP in no time. Then a few days later I lost my connection. I called Comcast, unhooked everything, restarted, etc. I couldn't get the modem to give my G5 an IP address. So I thought it may be the cable modem that I've never heard of, so I took it back to Comcast and exchanged it with the very last Motorola Surfboard cable modem. Went home, hooked it up and still no IP.

I have several friends who are Apple techs so I had one of them come over and take a look at things. Nothing we did would work. Finally he gave me a router, hooked the router up to the cable modem and my G5 to the router. I assigned my G5 an IP like 192.168.1.2 and next thing I know I'm online. And when my girlfriend comes to visit she brings her Airport and the G5 works fine through the airport. I've pretty much ruled out Comcast, and I thought it would be a hardware issue but if it were, then I shouldn't be able to connect through a router either. My friend said he'll check the Apple Knowledge Base and see if he can find anything and if not he'll post the problem. I'm just wondering if anyone has had a similar problem.

1.6Ghz G5
OS X 10.3

PS. I could just buy a router - but I'd rather not spend the money. I'd like to fix the problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
i had problems with the Motorola surfboard for a while. i opened mine up and unplugged everything and plugged it back in, and now it works great. i think the only problem with them are they are poorly assembled. you should be able to get it to work by unplugging all the connections on the back and let it sit for about 5-10 mins to erase its memory. then plug it back in and you should get an IP.

i would recommend a router if you can get one, they are really useful in configuring your network, and in finding and self assigning computers.

OP
D

dziner

I tried resetting the Modem. Actually I reset both modems that I've had and that didn't solve the problem. That still doesn't explain why I can connect when I'm going through a router and then the modem. I'd think if it was the modem then I wouldn't be able to connect even with a router.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.