Internet with multiple computers

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm hoping somebody can help me because I'm really, really at my wits end. I've been put in charge of the network at a local youth center where I volunteer, and I'm getting pressured to fix problems although I don't have the slightest clue what I'm doing.

We use a network of macs - a MacBook, a MacBook Pro, and multiple iMacs. All of them are running 10.5+. The problem we are having is that if there are multiple computers on, the internet grinds to a halt. I've contacted the ISP about this, who assure me that everything is perfect, and all the problems must be caused by the computer settings. We have recieved a new router from them, but the same thing does still happen.

As the nature of the network is for the young people, obviously no internet is a huge issue. Personally, I'm of the opinion that it is still BT to blame, but I have no power to change the ISP as I'd desire (especially considering that so many months without service seems like a reason to automatically change it to me), and my suggestion is being ignored until all avenues have been exhausted.

Can anybody give any suggestions to anything that may cause this? I am intending to reinstall the systems to clear up the years of bunk, but if there are settings which may be at fault I will need to avoid them again.

One of the iMacs connects via ethernet, however the rest are all wireless. I have locked the wifi network so they are the only devices on it as I believed phones to be causing the issue, however this has solved nothing.

If any more info can be given, I'd be more than happy to check it, anything so I can get this working.

Cheers guys
- ArkaneArkade

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The problem we are having is that if there are multiple computers on, the internet grinds to a halt.

Can anybody give any suggestions to anything that may cause this?

From the sound of it..the problem is your ISP service...but not for the reason you may think. You did not say exactly what sort of internet service you have...but you have to realize that the "size of the pipe" (the amount of data that can be moved through this "pipe" is limited).

If (for example) your internet service is similar to what an individual home would have...you can probably run multiple computers at the same time...with each computer doing relatively "light" computing tasks (e-mail, general internet surfing, etc.).

But if you are in a more public type environment (computer lab at a Youth Center with many computers)...where potentially every computer is occupied and each user on every computer could potentially be doing VERY demanding things like watching internet videos...this "pipe" just isn't large enough.

What you need to do is (to improve things)...is either:

- Decrease the number of computers that are able to access the internet at one time (do the best you can with the internet service you have).
- Or...upgrade your Youth Centers internet service (a BIGGER "pipe"...and more money)...so that all of your computers can surf the internet at the same time without any slowdowns.

HTH,

- Nick

p.s. There may be other options as well...but those 2 are 2 that first come to my mind.:)

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Welcome to Mac-Forums

You'll have to do a systematic test to see if the problem is isolated to a single Mac or a combinations of them.

Start with just one Mac and see how the Internet performs, and then continue to add one Mac after another and see if you can isolate the issue.

A lot of routers say how many devices they support, and some of the expensive ones can handle like 15 or so devices, not sure what the router you are using can support. Would be good to figure that out as well..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I Mac 27-inch 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5 24GB ram. MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.5GHz dual-core Intel i5 16GB ram
It might be helpful to find out how fast your internet connection is.
To do this shut down all your macs apart from the one connected by Ethernet.
Then go to Speedtest.net
Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test.
Run the test and post your speeds back here.

OP
A
Reaction score
Cheers for the replies guys, I'll have to do some fiddling, and try to do what Raz0rEdge said. I got it working a little bit more yesterday after turning off a couple of machines, so whether it was one in particular causing it (there is one seems in particularly bad condition which was the final I turned off before it began working).
I'm not in for a few days again, so will have to try it later on.

It doesn't seem so much the bandwidth, as it has been happening regardless of anything running. it's meant to be a 17MB connection (according to the guy that pays, but seems a funny bandwidth to me), and the router itself says the downstream is about 17000 mb.

Anyways, cheers guys, hopefully this will get it working.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.