HELP: An inexpensive .pdf text editor

Reaction score
I am a MacBookPro user. I just found out that .pdf files can be edited on my Mac. How? And, what is the cheapest application to download onto my Mac to accomplish this without spending more than $10?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Can you be more specific? What exactly are you trying to do? Basic editing of a document can be done with built in tools. More complicated editing will require third party software but any recommendations are going to depend on the type of PDF.

OP
V
Reaction score
I am helping a friend who is computer illiterate. His legal advisor sends him .pdfs to edit, but now demands that he edit them directly on the .pdf. I offered my help and his advisor has now sent several .pdfs to my MacBookPro purchased new in Nov, 2007 with Snow Leopard downloaded in 2009. My updated Version is 10.6.8. What tools do I have that would allow me to edit on a .pdf??????

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
It depends what you mean by "edit." If you're just looking to annotate a PDF, Preview has a whole host of annotation features built in. Go to Tools > Annotate to see what's available. If you're looking to edit the contents, you'll be hard pressed to find anything reliable since PDFs are designed to be read-only (this is what makes them so easily cross-platform). If this is the case, have the individual re-send you the documents in a more edit friendly format.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.