PC/Mac Printer Sharing - Exhausted!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.16GHzIC2D/1GB/120 OSX 10.5 , A bunch of other macs, iPod Mini Orig. 4G iPod Video 30Gb
Hi every1,

i have 1 Mac and 1 PC connected to a router to share internet connection. The mac is an iMac G3 running Mac OS X 10.2.8.

i have PC Maclan installed on the PC and i share files between the two computers without a problem.

I want to be able to share the printer between the two computers and it is currently connected to the PC. it doesnt really matter which computer the printer is connected to i just want to share it.

PCMaclan i cannot work out how to share the printer. i have tried Samba without any luck.

Does any one have clear cut directions about doing this that work. Any way that works is all i need
Im am fed up with this issue, i have obviously missed somethign that doesnt let it work.

Thanks alot every one you are my last hope

Pattay

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
I've had success printing to a shared Mac printer from a PC by adding an http printer in the add printer wizard.

Use the URL

http://MACIPADDRESS:631/printers/Mac_printer_queue_name

eg

http://192.168.1.100:631/printers/Epson_Stylus_740

You will need to know your Mac's IP and the print queue name from the print center. You will also need to use a post script driver. This may take some trial and error finding a good post script driver to use.

Also important is the :631 and printers in lower case in the URL

Good Luck

OP
Pattay
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.16GHzIC2D/1GB/120 OSX 10.5 , A bunch of other macs, iPod Mini Orig. 4G iPod Video 30Gb
yeah i get most of that thanks macswork.

i jsut dont understand the post script driver idea. I can install the printers drivers on both computers. But post script driver?

and the print queue name is just what you named the printer in print center right.

thanks for your help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Using a PC printer driver will yield printing garbage on the Mac. You'll notice that some printer drivers end in ps. That's a post script driver. The printer manufacturer may not supply one for that model but you can usually get away with a PS driver from another model or even a generic driver. Like I said,...trial end error.

Otherwise it sounds like you are on the right track.

OP
Pattay
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ive set it all up as you said using the add printer wizard and so on.

It does practically everything except print. ill keep working on it but its hard becuase im sorta flying blind with the sharing over windows and mac, ive done everything but that

Thanks again macswork

ill keep trying

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When you print from the PC, does the job show up in the queue on the Mac? If this isn't happening then (A) printer sharing on the Mac is not on, or (B) the url was not entered exactly right. If the job shows up in the Mac's print queue then it's driver related. Try choosing a different PS driver on the PC side.

OP
Pattay
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok ill give it a try

yeah it doesnt show up on the mac
Im just having trouble with the drivers. Ive tried so many ways to get this working i think im mushing them altogether.
My pc is out of action so i cant do anythign till i reformat (dam thing) but i will keep trying

Thanks for all your help macs work

Pattay

Reaction score
Trouble printing from mac through pc to printer

Hi everyone, it's my first time posting.

A client of mine has one iMac running OS X, and is trying to print to a printer which is directly connected to a Windows XP PC. (Both the iMac and the Pc are connected via a switch) Connecting the iMac directly to the printer is NOT an option. It has to run through the network. So I installed PC Maclan on the XP machine. Enabled appletalk on the Imac. I basically got to the point where I could pick up the printer (Canon MX320) on the iMac. As soon as I try print a document, it registers on the print server/spooler in PC Maclan on the XP machine, but nothing comes out the printer. On the iMac I have added the printer through various ways including Appletalk, IP etc, which adds fine, but just doesn't want to print. I used Generic Script Posting or whatever it's called.

I hope someone can shed some light on this subject. Apparently the people who made PC Maclan have stopped support or closed down. So phoning them ain't an option.

Thanks in advance

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.