Boot Camp Icon Missing After Update

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27 Late 2013
I had an interesting problem pop up yesterday. I was working in Windows via Boot Camp when I got notice of a Boot Camp update. The update installed without any error notification. After restart, the Boot Camp Manager icon was missing from the Task Bar. I tried running Boot Camp Manager from the Windows start menu but nothing happened. I tried to “repair” the boot camp services but got the following message:

Service “Key/Agent” (KeyAgent) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services.

I was stumped at this point until I found the solution to my problem in a 20 November 2010 Apple Support Communities posting. Below is a copy of the posting:

I had the exact same problem, only on a 17" MBP. In my case, Win7 event manager reported that BootCamp 3.2 Services failed to install, in particular the KeyAgent service (and without that you get no Apple keyboard and functions and apparently the BootCamp icon doesn't show up in the system tray).

Event Manager said the BootCamp installer did not have sufficient permissions, so I went to dial down the User Account Control (UAC) settings (in fact, I turned it off). What I should have seen when BootCamp 3.2 update was running was a window to ask my permission to continue (allow the software to install). Instead, there was a silent failure.

OK, so by turning off UAC that gives it permission in advance (you have to reboot after changing the UAC settings in order to ensure that it is truly OFF). After rebooting, I went to Programs and Features and found BootCamp Services as a software item. I selected "Repair" and after another reboot, I was back in business! Keyboard is now fine (including the disk eject button, which I wanted working). Then I went back to turn on UAC to its default level (one notch below highest setting). It is useful (normally) to have this on.

Ask the Windows Help system if you don't know how to find the UAC settings to give this a try. Hope it helps you.

I thought I'd post this in case anyone else runs into this problem.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I moved your post here to the correct forum.

Thanks for posting that information as it just may help someone else. Personally, I turned off UAC altogether as I considered it to be more of a pain than something that protected me. However, I do not recommend that for the casual user.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.