New to Mac and Forum - Question on file delete

Reaction score
I left Mac back in the 90's, but switched my family back to Mac in about 2003. I'm still PC, due to my company requirements, but trying to learn again on my wife's Mac. So, not intuitive for a PC'r yet but want to relearn.

Whilst attempting to upgrade my wifes "Pages08" from 8.303 to Pages09 I managed to fumble through finding iWork09 and downloaded Pages09. I intended to buy the new application but was never asked for financial info and it doesn't appear to have actually been installed on our Mac.

When I returned to the Appstore and to iWorks it tells me that Pages09 is already installed. Is there no charge to buy this app? Unfortunately, we still have Pages 08 operational and cant find 09.

Any help for a newby is appreciated. I think I need to take a tutorial on basic use of a Mac.

Thank you in advance.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Pages has never been a free app. Where did you download it from?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Since there is no "free" upgrade path from Pages 08 to 09, you should have been asked for your Apple ID and then verify that you wanted to buy 09. If you had a credit card on file with Apple and you confirmed that you wanted to buy Pages 09, it should have downloaded to your Applications Folder.

OP
L
Reaction score
I was pretty sure going from 08 to 09 would not be free update. I got it from the app store. Anyway, the real issue is that I cant find it on the Mac and the app store indicates installed. I thought maybe it downloaded and would ask for purchase info upon install. I'm willing to download new again from the app store and purchase but the darn thing isn't available to buy since it shows installed. Is there a way to reset the appstore?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's strange that the App Store is saying Pages 09 is already installed especially since you apparently did not pay for it. It's not like Apple to give stuff away. :)

Try downloading it again even if it says installed. Once something has been purchased from the App Store it can be downloaded again for free. If it still refuses, you may have to contact Apple customer service and have them correct the error.

Also, carefully check your system to see if maybe part of Pages 09 was installed and somehow stopped because of an error.

OP
L
Reaction score
Thanks all for the quick responses!! I'm making progress. I actually have both 09 and 08 on the Mac. 09 was in the applications folder and yes, it was charged to my apple account. A little strange as I was on my wife's computer. I must have forgotten to log out last time I used her Mac. Although I am a PC'er I have an iPhone and iPad mini so I use her Mac for my iTunes interface. If I could go full Mac I would. So I might be a little bit of a closet Mac lover.. :)

New question now. Not a good idea to be running two versions of the same app of course. How do I remove an existing application. On my PC I have an add/remove programs panel. What is the equivalent on the Mac?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New question now. Not a good idea to be running two versions of the same app of course. How do I remove an existing application. On my PC I have an add/remove programs panel. What is the equivalent on the Mac?

First, it's good to hear that the first problem is no longer a problem! :)

As to your question above, just drag the Pages 08 application from your Applications folder to the Trash. There is no need to remove anything else since all the previous settings for 08 will be overwritten by 09. Leave 08 in the Trash for awhile until you're certain everything is working OK with 09. Once you verify everything is working OK, you can empty the Trash.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.