Windows 8 sound issues

Reaction score
I have read that there seem to be a number of sound related issues with Windows 8 and bootcamp.

I thought I had everything running smoothly and then the sound just stopped working for no apparent reason. I have updated the NVIDIA drivers and that has not worked, the sound bar is going up and down as if its working but no sound is coming out.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled but to no avail, whats also weird is the windows start up sound works but then when everything loads the sounds disappear, also every concievable software update has been applied.

Any ideas?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
For sure the nVidia drivers were not going to help since they're for video. Apple has yet to officially support Windows 8 with a driver package, however, since the Windows 8 driver model is the same as Windows 7, most drivers should work.

I don't have Windows 8 installed so I'm not positive if it's similar to Windows 7, but have you tried opening the hardware tree to see the status of the sound drivers?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
On my Late 2007 Macbook I had to manually install the driver from the Bootcamp drivers.

The Driver that Windows 8 installed only lit the red light (Optical) in the headphone jack.

I had ran the Bootcamp driver install package but it did NOT replace the driver that W8 installed. I had to navigate to drivers and find the driver for my machine and run the install manually.

OP
H
Reaction score
I think I have done all of the above but how do I access the hardware tree, do you mean device manager?.

The confusing issue is that I had got it working and then all of sudden it stopped working, (maybe after a windows update?) and the only drivers I can find that would relate to audio are the nvydia and Realtek drivers all of which are the latest drivers and have been uninstalled and reinstalled.

The only other thing I have not considered is would any of the intel drivers have an impact on the sound?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.